Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Tale of Two Citi's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A Tale of Two Citi's

What are you getting with PPMC that you aren't with DC or Fidelity?
Message 41 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

May want to keep your options open. The Citi Bank DC has its 1% + 1% earnings pattern which is simple (what was a plus were the many extra benefits that came with the card - they are being removed which certainly lowers its attraction on September 22, 2019) and has a redemption level of $25 available after the statement cuts.
Fidelity has it's 2% earnings pattern with some requirements like utilizing an account with them and redemptions at 5,000 points unless you choose to redeem your Points for travel options, merchandise, gift cards, or a statement credit at 2,500 points. Today, Fidelity Visa is operated by Elan a sub of US Bank (said to be conservative?).
Then there is the Pay Pal Master Card which is accessed through PayPal (and not through an independent mobile banking app or website login). It may be different to operate and is said to lack automated alerts for spending and you pay through your PayPal account. The Synchrony Bank administers the credit card and is connected with the Pay Pal account. This product is set at a 2% earnings pattern and if the other Pay Pal Account Benefits work into your life pattern it would be a plus.
You would want to review the details of these accounts to ensure you are satisfied with your choice. Also, nothing would preclude you from taking advantage of the differing options each account offers depending on your card needs.
As to reputations of the lenders, all three have their followers and much has been written over time on them in this Forum. In truth from my chair, none of them wins an award of excellence.

Message 42 of 74
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

I don't have the PayPal card but the other major complaint I have heard from those who have it is that you have to access it through PayPal (not through an independent mobile banking app or website login).  Consequently, it's more difficult to monitor your account, there aren't automated account alerts for spending etc, and you have to pay out through your PayPal account so it's more cumbersome to redeem.  Compared to almost all my other banking and credit accounts, it sounds like it's more difficult to manage.

It's not THAT cumbersome. Yes, you need to login to PayPal first and then transfer to Synchrony to view transactions and/or make payments; so it's an extra step, but given that all my log-ins are saved on my phone & computer, it's an extra 15-20 seconds maybe. As for transferring rewards, yes, it goes to your PayPal first and then you can transfer to your account. Again, an extra step, but the money is in my bank almost instantaneously (same day, if not next day). It has not been a huge hassle, I just don't care for the dated Synchrony website. But so far, it's gotten a lot of my spend in the past 2.5 months and earned me a nice chunk of cash back.

Message 43 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still trying to figure out why the 2% from PP and Fidelity, while having an intermediate account you need to transfer to and wait for (a pain), is better than the 2% from DC. PP does not have extended warranty, etc. Why is PP and Fidelity better?
Message 44 of 74
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out why the 2% from PP and Fidelity, while having an intermediate account you need to transfer to and wait for (a pain), is better than the 2% from DC. PP does not have extended warranty, etc. Why is PP and Fidelity better?

Double Cash is losing extended warranty (and almost everything else) in September.

I've stated the key reasons before why PPMC is better for me: no min redemption, no 1+1% structure and no FTF.

The 1+1% is potentially a much longer delay than transferring from PP (which is immediate from card to PP, and just as quick as Citi from there to your bank).   If you pay before statement close to speed things up, that's another type of loss.

Yes, if I cared about alerts then maybe it would be different, but of the three, to me, PPMC is the obvious winner.

I agree with Dinosaur though that none are stellar.   But (again for me!) DC is the least stellar, despite the love it gets here!

Message 45 of 74
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Pro's of PPMC vs Citi DC:

*PPMC can be redeemed starting at $0.01.  DC has minimum $25 redemption.

Advantage: PPMC.

*As posted earlier in this thread and elsewhere on MyFico, Citi is nerfing extended warranty in a few weeks. 

No Advantage: Citi.  Tie.

*PPMC cash does not have defined expiration.  Citi DC expires with 12 months account inactivity.

Advantage:  PPMC.

*PPMC Rewards are available sooner than Citi DC.

Citi makes you wait, not only for minimum redemptions but statement date, and then also makes you wait a 2nd statement date for the 1% when you pay. 

*PPMC has no Foreign Transaction Fee.

Citi DC has 3% FTF.

There's probably more, but that will get us started. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 46 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim_High wrote:

Among other reasons, that is one thing I was horrified about the PayPal Mastercard when I read the disclosures.  Not that I plan to carry a balance and I realize that rewards cards normally can and will get away with expecting a higher APR, but Synchrony is getting greedy with those punitive-type rates.  I PIF but I am aware of potential interest rates I could be charged.  (In one thread about whether APR matters, I pointed out that even though I do always PIF and have automatic minimum payments enabled, what would happen if I were to get into an accident or become ill and fail to pay the remainder of my balance before the due date, for example?  Life happens, and I don't expect my bank to be waiting in the wings to exploit it.  15%, 18% is bad enough and a high enough APR for a rewards card, but 22.24%?!?  Seriously??)

If you PIF, why not have the bank behind the card autopay the full amount from a bank account?  Then backup that bank account with a overdraft savings or (gulp) line of credit overdraft.  If that overdraft savings is your rainy day fund, say 3-6 months of living expenses, in all but the extreme cases, this concern of not being able to PIF once shouldn't be an issue.

All my cards are on autopay.  One less thing to worry about.

Message 47 of 74
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

I PIF but I am aware of potential interest rates I could be charged.  (In one thread about whether APR matters, I pointed out that even though I do always PIF and have automatic minimum payments enabled, what would happen if I were to get into an accident or become ill and fail to pay the remainder of my balance before the due date, for example?  Life happens, and I don't expect my bank to be waiting in the wings to exploit it.

If you PIF, why not have the bank behind the card autopay the full amount from a bank account?  Then backup that bank account with a overdraft savings or (gulp) line of credit overdraft.  If that overdraft savings is your rainy day fund, say 3-6 months of living expenses, in all but the extreme cases, this concern of not being able to PIF once shouldn't be an issue.

All my cards are on autopay.  One less thing to worry about.

That's a novel idea and might work for some people but my finances are too complicated for that. 

Most importantly, I don't want the bank's sticky fingers having full access to my accounts without my permission.  (I do always check my charges before I pay them off.)  Getting my money BACK if there was a questionable charge wouldn't be so easy. (Having automatic minimum payments enabled is just a way to prevent ever having "late payments" in case I forget to pay, but I usually pay my accounts manually well before they are due.)

Also, there are months where I charge a lot more than others and I don't want to keep a large amount sitting in a checking account where it earns less interest.  And my checking account isn't paying just a credit card bill or two, so there are variable charges.  The balance ebbs and flows.   I move money in and out of there all the time. 

I don't want to use "overdraft protection" except in an emergency.  Banks typically charge fees for those.  My credit union that has fairly low fees and pays respectable interest rates on accounts charges $5 per posting to pay the overdraft. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 48 of 74
wasCB14
Super Contributor

To get the full 2% on Citi, I believe it still requires redeeming via a check or a bank deposit. Taking a statement credit reduces the amount you can earn the second 1% on, since it doesn't count as a payment.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 49 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I can see that it's quicker to redeem. I always have a payment 1% and purchase 1% in each cycle, so it's like 2%, unless I have a larger balance one month. PP doesn't have extended warranty, etc., either. I don't really redeem quickly anymore now because I have 8 cards and that's a lot to spread around. But I can see wanting redemptions quickly as a reason to prefer another card. Thanks.

Message 50 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.