Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Very Good Couple of Months!

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

A Very Good Couple of Months!

This month and latter part of August has been a very interesting and productive!  In mid-August, I paid off all of my balances on my outstanding credit cards (around $5500) on a 1st Command VISA, HSBC Platinum MC,Home Depot/Citi and Lowes/GEMB.  Had a balance of $102 on Best Buy/Chase, which I paid off and then charged $700 for a laptop.  My scores at the end of August/first of September were 702/TU 703/EQ and 713/EX (from my credit union-true FICO).

Once everything started reporting as being paid, my scores started going up gradually, then increased substantially.  My TU is now (as of 09/10/11) 777, EQ (same date) is 746, and EX is 730 (FICO from a credit grantor).

While paying the accounts off, I requested a CLI from 1st Command, went from $2500 to $7500 and moved from basic to platinum VISA.  Requested a CLI from Lowes, went from $3000 to $6000. Requested CLI from Home Depot, went from $5000 to $8300.

Also have applied for new credit and got:
AMEX Clear $3000 approval, pulled EX
AMEX Zync approval, pulled EX
Discover More $3600 approval, pulled EQ
Citi Diamond Preferred MC, $6800 approval pulled EX
BofA BankAmericard Power Rewards VISA, $5000 approval, pulled EX

The only declines I have are from Chase, who also pulled EX!  Applied for Chase Slate and Chase Sapphire, was turned down for both due to the number of inquiries...all those prior EX pulls.  Can't believe both my good and bad luck!  Good luck in that I got the approvals that I got, bad luck for the number of companies that pulled EX...why couldn't one of them pull TU?!?!

I checked my scores from 3 years ago and I was in the upper 500s-low 600s.  The gains have been slow but steady, and getting UTI down was the single biggest factor to improving my scores dramatically.  So, any advice I would offer would be to GET THAT UTILIZATION DOWN!  Keep it below 10% and you'll be surprised at what you can accomplish!           

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A Very Good Couple of Months!

WOW - lucky you! I paid off about $4000 of debt in August and I've yet to see any change! My hubby did get a 5 pt increase but nothing for me - I hope to see something soon! CONGRATS!
Message 2 of 5
john398
Senior Contributor

Awesome Scores, Congrats

Message 3 of 5
Guava
Established Contributor

Way to go! Congratulations!!

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Nanz....I'm betting when your statements come out and they start reporting, you'll see score increases.  Mine just so happened to update the statements at the first of the month, and CRAs started showing balances paid about 4-7 days after my credit card statement date.  A lot has to do with what your utilization percentage will be once you're paid off as well.  Congrats on paying yours off too!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.