Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A bit nervous...AMEX

tag
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

A bit nervous...AMEX

So as many of you know I have the AMEX Blue Cash which has a $600 line of when AMEX slashed lines a few years ago. I also have Zync and Jetblue ($8,300 line).  I called today to move $400 from JB to my Blue Cash to increase the line to $1,000. So after the guy did this he said "Okay, no I need your household income and home address." I gave him the info. He said, "This info will be passed on to another department to see if the $400 can be moved over."  I said, "Oh, it wasn't instant?" He said, "It all depends on your income for older cards." What?! Apparently he went on to say the only time you can do this instantaneously is if you have a new card you want to add a line to, but if it is an older card, it has to get reviewed -- *sigh*. 

I am just ready to cancel the card as I barely use it...I am nervous because what if this triggers a F/R? While I'm not flubbing on my income (never do that), I do not want them to see tax info as I find it a bit too invading. I think if I am F/R I will cancel the cards.  They said I'll receive a letter in 7-10 days on the decision.  I'm tempted to just call and cancel the Blue Cash since I rarely use it anyway. The Zync and JB are the ones I use all the time anyway...outside of my Chase OnePass Plus.

Ugh...a little nervous 

(Edited as some parts did not make sense)

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

Re: A bit nervous...AMEX

Why does everyone desire to have AMEX when it makes everyone so nervous over FR?  All credit cards can purchase the same product or service.  I just don't get it.  AMEX and no other CCC deserves to have any tax info just to carry their card.  Some would argue the IRS doesn't deserve to see our tax info.  

Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 2 of 8
MS00000000
Regular Contributor

@ArisGreek wrote:

So as many of you know I have the AMEX Blue Cash which has a $600 line of when AMEX slashed lines a few years ago. I also have Zync and Jetblue ($8,300 line).  I called today to move $400 from JB to my Blue Cash to increase the line to $1,000. So after the guy did this he said "Okay, no I need your household income and home address." I gave him the info. He said, "This info will be passed on to another department to see if the $400 can be moved over."  I said, "Oh, it wasn't instant?" He said, "It all depends on your income for older cards." What?! Apparently he went on to say the only time you can do this instantaneously is if you have a new card you want to add a line to, but if it is an older card, it has to get reviewed -- *sigh*. 

I am just ready to cancel the card as I barely use it...I am nervous because what if this triggers a F/R? While I'm not flubbing on my income (never do that), I do not want them to see tax info as I find it a bit too invading. I think if I am F/R I will cancel the cards.  They said I'll receive a letter in 7-10 days on the decision.  I'm tempted to just call and cancel the Blue Cash since I rarely use it anyway. The Zync and JB are the ones I use all the time anyway...outside of my Chase OnePass Plus.

Ugh...a little nervous 

(Edited as some parts did not make sense)

I don't have personal experience with an FR (knocking on wood right now) but I wouldn't think this type of request would dictate a big review like that. You already have the credit line totals with Amex and I don't think this is increasing their risk since they're not extending further credit. I tried to move $1000 from my Coscto TE Amex to my newer SPG Amex and they denied it saying I hadn't had the Costco card long enough to do this, so I just asked for a $2000 increase SPG card instead, knowing I wouldn't be able to ask for a CLI on any of the cards for another 6 months and I was granted the increase just over 60 days from the day I activated the SPG card.

This seems strange to me, because I didn't really want more credit, just wanted more on that particular card than I had. I was thinking it might have something to do with the specific cards and the rules that apply to each card rather than the extension of more credit.  Good luck! I hope it works out for you.  Maybe if it is denied you can just ask for an increase on the Blue instead?

Message 3 of 8
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

@Dallas,

I make out like a bandit on the rewards for giftcards on Zync. I've earned about 30,000 points this year on Zync and have redeemed 6 gift cards totally $300 ($50/5000 points) each at my favorite stores so it keeps me interested.  I still have about 7,000 points pending.  In reality, I should probably go to the Gold card to get a better tradeoff on the points (just do not want another inquiry), but it is still pretty awesome. My Jetblue card I use about 2-3 times a month with flying so I get even more miles with it and it has returned a lot of benefits to me.

I just think the tax piece is a bit intrusive. No problem with my paystubs, but taxes are personal to me and there is info they have no need for. That's all. 

===========
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 4 of 8
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

But I should say, I got these cards before I knew of such a thing happening...

===========
Message 5 of 8
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Please keep us updated.  I am planning on something similar with 2 of my Blue cards in the future.  I wish you the best!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 8
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@dallasjetfan wrote:

Why does everyone desire to have AMEX when it makes everyone so nervous over FR?  All credit cards can purchase the same product or service.  I just don't get it.  AMEX and no other CCC deserves to have any tax info just to carry their card.  Some would argue the IRS doesn't deserve to see our tax info.  

Simple, because no other card issuer will do some much for you without batting an eye:

• Backdate cards (even for DW when I made her an AU first)!!!!!!
  • Overnight replacement cards to you
  • Extend your manufacturer warranties
  • Offer great rental car insurance
  • Get more than 2% cash back (on my Blue Cash)
  • Save my butt when DW breaks her birthday present by snagging the necklace on the seat belt
  • Give me revolving trade lines that are more than 80% of my personal income

In exchange for doing all that stuff right, I'll put up with the credit monster.

FWIW -- I had to send tax returns to USA Fed (now Navy Federal) to open my CC, and DW had to do the same with PSECU. Two years worth on both. It wasn't the dreaded 4506 T, but they still saw all the same stuff.

Message 7 of 8
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

@stan_the_man wrote:

@dallasjetfan wrote:

Simple, because no other card issuer will do some much for you without batting an eye:

• Backdate cards (even for DW when I made her an AU first)!!!!!!
  • Overnight replacement cards to you
  • Extend your manufacturer warranties
  • Offer great rental car insurance
  • Get more than 2% cash back (on my Blue Cash)
  • Save my butt when DW breaks her birthday present by snagging the necklace on the seat belt
  • Give me revolving trade lines that are more than 80% of my personal income

In exchange for doing all that stuff right, I'll put up with the credit monster.

FWIW -- I had to send tax returns to USA Fed (now Navy Federal) to open my CC, and DW had to do the same with PSECU. Two years worth on both. It wasn't the dreaded 4506 T, but they still saw all the same stuff.

To each his own...I guess I feel everyone already is intruding on my personal info too much and what is on my income tax is nobody's business.  I also feel all CCC's will end up screwing you whether it is with AF's, CL decreases, etc.  I just choose not to play the AMEX game.

Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.