Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A couple of AMEX questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple of AMEX questions

It seems my statement closes today.  If I charge something today, will it be due this month?  This is a revolver, but I always PIF.  I am making a large purchase that I kind of wanted to push to the next statement....

While I was on the phone informing AMEX of my large purchase, they said I was eligible for the Platinum Delta card.  I turned it down.  Eventhough I would only pay $55 for the next year and I have the option to down grade, I decided not to do the upgrade.  Was this smart????

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A couple of AMEX questions

You only owe once a charge is posted to your balance. If you made a charge today, it would reduce your available credit as an authorization only. After about two days, it will become part of your balance. The new charge today will become part of your next statement.
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You only owe once a charge is posted to your balance. If you made a charge today, it would reduce your available credit as an authorization only. After about two days, it will become part of your balance. The new charge today will become part of your next statement.

That's good to know.  I would have paid it anyway, but it's good to know I can push it off to next month.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Just check to be sure that they didn't miraculously post it today after all. Nothing much surprises me any more!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll check.  Stuff seems to take a day or two to post.  I purchased something over the weekend and it still hasn't posted to my account.  I know the seller got paid because I have my item.
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It seems my statement closes today.  If I charge something today, will it be due this month?  This is a revolver, but I always PIF.  I am making a large purchase that I kind of wanted to push to the next statement....

While I was on the phone informing AMEX of my large purchase, they said I was eligible for the Platinum Delta card.  I turned it down.  Eventhough I would only pay $55 for the next year and I have the option to down grade, I decided not to do the upgrade.  Was this smart????

no if your statement closes today that purchase will be included on that statement. You will have to wait until tomorrow when your new statement starts.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok.  Now I have conflicting answers....Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 19
notmyname
Regular Contributor

bump
Message 8 of 19
CodeMonkey
Contributor

I've actually had this happen both ways to me - transactions on the statement closing day on my Gold posted in time to be included on the balance one month, and another month they didn't.

Given all the conflicting information, I would definitely play it safe and wait. But that's me. Smiley Happy

Good luck!

Message 9 of 19
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

My Amex Gold closing date is the 28th. Back in July I paid for dinner at 9 PM on the 26th.

My balance at the time was 0. It did not show on the 27th or 28th so that I could PIF it. The website said I could not pay because I had no balance. Sure enough, on the 29th, the new statement showed the charge on the 26th, and my "new balance" of $127.00.

I PIF'ed it on the 31st, but that charge is still showing on my CR's as my "high balance" on the account, since I have been able to pay before the statement date on all the other months. At least it shows I used it, and paid it.

So maybe the "sweet spot" is two days before your closing date. Any time before and you can PIF it in time. Any time after, and it hits the next month.

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.