Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A couple product change questions..

tag
Cleaningitup2016
Frequent Contributor

A couple product change questions..

I have two cap 1 cards. A secured, and a platinum.

I just got the plat a week ago.

1. How long does one have to wait to change it to the Quicksilver?

I also got a credit one card too.

But now I see they have launched an Amex card.

Can one change over to the amex?

Credit Card companies have a name for those who pay their bill in full each month: Deadbeats
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: A couple product change questions..

It takes 3-4 months for the cap1 upgrade to become available. Have no idea about the credit one.

Message 2 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, as mentioned above, you can periodically check the following link to see if your Platinum account eventually qualifies for the upgrade:

https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Card&Action=ProductUpgrade

There is no PC to the AmEx version for Credit One.
Message 3 of 18
Cleaningitup2016
Frequent Contributor

I also noticed I have the credit steps on my cap1 card.

It says I need to make 5 monthly on-time payments.

If I PIF before the statement cuts, I take it that is not counted?

Credit Card companies have a name for those who pay their bill in full each month: Deadbeats
Message 4 of 18
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

I also noticed I have the credit steps on my cap1 card.

It says I need to make 5 monthly on-time payments.

If I PIF before the statement cuts, I take it that is not counted?

Yes, you have to let a balance post and you have to make a payment. Cap wants revolvers, not transactors.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I upgraded my cap 1 platinum in 3 months
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

I have two cap 1 cards. A secured, and a platinum.

I just got the plat a week ago.

1. How long does one have to wait to change it to the Quicksilver?

I also got a credit one card too.

But now I see they have launched an Amex card.

Can one change over to the amex?

The way it worked for me was I got the Platinum, completed the steps and then cold apped for the Quicksilver One. Got approved for the Quicksilver One. Then a month or two later, I discovered the upgrade link and upgraded my Platinum to the Quicksilver. So all in all I waited 8 months, but maybe I could have gotten the upgrade sooner? Who knows.

Personally, I kinda outgrew the Credit 1 card the day it arrived. I was implementing AZEO to establish good habits as I started to rebuild on my two Capital One cards (after completing credit steps) and saw that using that method would generally require 3 credit cards, so I got the Credit 1. But honestly, when I got it, I didn't even use it for the first 3 months. I even got an auto CLI a month after receiving the card with no usage on it. I just didn't want to pay interest and opted to pay Capital One cards multiple times a month instead. 

You have 3 cards now so I would save the HP for a GOOD rebuilder that you'll probably be approved for after you garden for about 6 months. You already have 3 credit cards. Just show responsible use for awhile and you will be prequalified.

BTW, during my first year rebuilding with my Capital One cards, I would constantly check Discover's prequalify tool and would get shot down every time. Once my platinum hit a year old, I tried again and I got preapproved for the Discover IT. So, needless to say, Garden Garden Garden!

Message 7 of 18
Cleaningitup2016
Frequent Contributor

As I rebuild I wonder what credit cards are halfway decent and charge off friendly?

It is looking like I might not be able to remove my charge offs, but it seems a lot of your "nicer" cards aren't so friendly to baddies.

Something that would approve you around 600-640 Fico.

The Credit 1 card has rewards, but they also charge you interest the second you use it, so not worth using at all.

Message 8 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

As I rebuild I wonder what credit cards are halfway decent and charge off friendly?

It is looking like I might not be able to remove my charge offs, but it seems a lot of your "nicer" cards aren't so friendly to baddies.

The Credit 1 card has rewards, but they also charge you interest the second you use it, so not worth using at all.

It's fairly possible you'll get some insight and feedback on your recent, separate topic in the Rebuilding section.  Likely, a lot of members who are in a similar boat would yield their experience on the types of CCs they've been able to obtain during their rebuilding journey.

Message 9 of 18
Cleaningitup2016
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

It's fairly possible you'll get some insight and feedback on your recent, separate topic in the Rebuilding section.  Likely, a lot of members who are in a similar boat would yield their experience on the types of CCs they've been able to obtain during their rebuilding journey.

Sadly that area don't seem as active anymore. Sometimes it is several days before I get a reply or it ends up burried again.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.