Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A couple product change questions..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A couple product change questions..

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

As I rebuild I wonder what credit cards are halfway decent and charge off friendly?

It is looking like I might not be able to remove my charge offs, but it seems a lot of your "nicer" cards aren't so friendly to baddies.

Something that would approve you around 600-640 Fico.

The Credit 1 card has rewards, but they also charge you interest the second you use it, so not worth using at all.

Are the charge offs recent?

NFCU is usually quite rebuild friendly if you're eligible and many members have had success getting the PayPal Cashback card with credit issues. 640 TU 8 is the lowest I would try for it if you're not okay with potentially wasting an inquiry but there have been scattered approvals lower than that. 

Check Experian CreditMatch and see if Ollo is offering you a card. They're actually very good cards for rebuilders. 

Basically I would replace that Credit One card and then just let things age. When your scores hit more like 670, I would start checking AMEX and Disco prequals. 

Message 11 of 18
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

The problem with Capital One's idea of product changing is a simple and broken one:

The sub-prime card that one has now been given the opportunity to ''upgrade'', now becomes the same sub-prime card in disquise.  While, yesthe benefit to having a Quicksilver,1.5% cashback, soars far beyond the non-yeilding Platinum.  Essentially, that card remains in the exact same bucket it was tossed in when you apped for it, thus, growth becomes a battle.  My opinion of CapOne is that it is semi-predatory, in the sense that it does give many the opportunity at credit again, but, once one does improve their situation, new apps are basically required to get prime cards worth the time with Capital One.  And as we all know, regardless of who you are and what product you'd like- that requires yet another triple pull. 

Message 12 of 18
Cleaningitup2016
Frequent Contributor

Are you scores current when you applied for the 3 chase cards you have?

Always thought any chase CC is like 680+ Fico.

Credit Card companies have a name for those who pay their bill in full each month: Deadbeats
Message 13 of 18
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

Are you scores current when you applied for the 3 chase cards you have?

Always thought any chase CC is like 680+ Fico.

Negative.  I have been with Chase for ten years.  But, my FICO score has been on a rollercoaster ride for the past few years and I'm finally recovering.  Chase also takes into consideration your banking relationship, much like USBank.  680+ isn't completely necessary.  I would say more like 650 being a more accurate ''magic'' number.  But my scores were higher at the time of relative apps.

Message 14 of 18
Cleaningitup2016
Frequent Contributor

Wait...Chase and US Bank account for banking history when apping?

Thought that was a thing of the past? Like 20+ years ago.

Credit Card companies have a name for those who pay their bill in full each month: Deadbeats
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

I also noticed I have the credit steps on my cap1 card.

It says I need to make 5 monthly on-time payments.

If I PIF before the statement cuts, I take it that is not counted?

No, it counts. My statement generated today with zero balance and it means I got the Feb checkmark right away

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 12.10.23.jpg

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still fairly new to the boards and learning every day. I didn't know about the cap one platinum upgrade! Y'all I'm literally almost crying, a cash back card with no annual fee is a HUGE step in the right direction for me on my rebuild journey. Thanks a million!
Message 17 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

Wait...Chase and US Bank account for banking history when apping?

Thought that was a thing of the past? Like 20+ years ago.

Just to clarify, it is considered and evaluated as part of an existing banking relationship.  It does not necessarily guarantee a CC approval, all other things considered of course since UW still makes the final decision.  But, it is definitely weighed with a variety of FIs such as BoA, Chase, USB and WF, for instance. 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.