cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A credit card with 2.5% cash back on every single purchase – not specific categories

tag
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: A credit card with 2.5% cash back on every single purchase – not specific categories

@K-in-Boston wrote:

If you have $100,000 or more in Bank of America, Merrill Lynch, and/or Merrill Edge accounts and qualify for Platinum Honors Preferred Rewards, the Bank of America Premium Rewards card earns 3.5% on travel, 3.5% on dining, and 2.625% on all other purchases.

I was trying to remember who the other bank was besides BofA, thanks for chiming in! 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 11 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A credit card with 2.5% cash back on every single purchase – not specific categories

@OmarR wrote:

Other than rotating categories....no.

My daily card is also the USAA Limitless Cashback, except for gasoline, which is the USAA Amex Rewards Plus 5%.

I don't do well with rotating categories and I don't travel, so it works for me.

2.5% cash back for all purchases is a higher value than 1 Delta mile per dollar, or even 2 for that matter. 

American Airline miles are worthless because you need to have flexible dates to get affordable flights. 

Not sure about United miles. 

Individual Hilton points are next to worthless (0.6 cents each roughly) so even the bonus non-Hilton purchase categories nets 3% back on the no AF card while everything else is 1.8%.

Marriott points are just as worthless as Hilton points. 

Choice Hotels and IHG also have worthless points, about the same as Hilton. 

Starwood is about the only travel card that will beat the Limitless in everyday spend, but with a $95 annual fee and uncertain future. 

Most people would be better off sticking with the Limitless than using any card but SPG and just applying earned cash towards the purchase instead. 

Message 12 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I only hope that USAA doesn't pull the carpet from underneath us by cancelling the program and giving us the 1.5% card as a replacement. 

If they do I'm done doing business with them. I didn't sign up for a 1.5% cash back cards... There's plenty of those out there. USAA would be better off giving me the 5% on gas card instead, or give us a choice to choose a card. 

Message 13 of 91
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@

Message 14 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wish the USAA was available for everyone Smiley Sad
Message 15 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys for your replies. I am greatful that I get to be a part of the limitless 2.5% cash back on everything card. I realize that only veterans and their family (and extended family) get this privledge so most will not qualify.

It is a shame that other banks/institutions in the industry do not offer this cash back rate or better for everyday civillians (most people who have a credit card). Each credit card company makes billions each year in profit. Even if they increased to 2.5%, while they will lose some of that billions off the top they could still profit handsomely. After all, most of the profit made for all credit card companies is not the rate they charge the merchant (around 3% - 5%) but the interest rate from each customers remaining balance. Most people who own a credit card do not pay off their balances in full each month. In fact, many have large monthly balances. This is where these companies make their huge profits. Increasing their cash back rate from 1.5% or 2% to 2.5% wouldn't kill them as they would still profit handsomely off of the interest charged on remaining balances. I suppose ever increasing profit over customer wins the day for most banks/institutions.

I did the math and unless some stack/only use higher percentage cards in their specific required catagory (such as dinning, gas, groceries) etc. the 2.5% cash back is great and really unbeatable (at the moment). It offers much more cash back overall when used on all purchases without restricting to specific catagories.

I was hoping these high profit margin civilian companies/banks would be challenging USAA and its high cash back percentage rate but I am dissapointed to see that it seems they would rather maintain their billions on profit then take some off the top and give it back to the everyday people. I was also hoping to see a cash back rewards race/competition so that this benefits the customer. I was hoping one of you would say that Bank X offers 2.75% or 3% cash back on everything so bank Y has to counter it and that we, the customer wins in this competition race.

I suppose the other banks are ok succeeding this wonderful reward to USAA. Its a shame really. Come on big profit banks, I know you guys can do better with your rewards to customers! Please do this to benefit all of us. You will still make your billions/millions and you will help all of us keep more in our pockets.

Message 16 of 91
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

2.5% cash back for all purchases is a higher value than 1 Delta mile per dollar, or even 2 for that matter. 

Starwood is about the only travel card that will beat the Limitless in everyday spend, but with a $95 annual fee and uncertain future. 

For Delta, it matters where/when you're going and which class you're flying in.  They're certainly not too valuable if you're trying to book a Delta One roundtrip domestically or using Pay With Miles or Miles+Cash, but they're not strictly tied to revenue so there are certainly some opportunities to get 1.5-2.5 cents per mile.

Your comment about Marriott would be fighting words. Smiley Tongue  I've been getting more than 2.5 cpp on Marriott points.  You just need to book during peak times and take advantage of the 5th night free.  For TPG valuations, he's gotta be basing those values off of converting to airline miles or something because I have yet to get anywhere near as low as he values them.  So, the same goes for Starpoints which are pretty much getting me about 7.6 cpp, which is an amazing amount back on purchases.  Please don't compare Marriott points to Hilton points. Smiley Wink

Of course these are all moot points if someone doesn't really travel and wants cash back.

Message 17 of 91
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I stick with my basic BoA TR card for miscellaneous purchases.   I don't travel enough to make the AF worth it on the Premium TR card. 

Here is a card with 5% back up to $1000(?) per month.  Local FCU's are a great option for somebody who doesn't like big banks:

https://www.pcmcu.org/loans/credit-card/

Message 18 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For Delta, it matters where/when you're going and which class you're flying in.  They're certainly not too valuable if you're trying to book a Delta One roundtrip domestically or using Pay With Miles or Miles+Cash, but they're not strictly tied to revenue so there are certainly some opportunities to get 1.5-2.5 cents per mile.

Your comment about Marriott would be fighting words. Smiley Tongue  I've been getting more than 2.5 cpp on Marriott points.  You just need to book during peak times and take advantage of the 5th night free.  For TPG valuations, he's gotta be basing those values off of converting to airline miles or something because I have yet to get anywhere near as low as he values them.  So, the same goes for Starpoints which are pretty much getting me about 7.6 cpp, which is an amazing amount back on purchases.  Please don't compare Marriott points to Hilton points. Smiley Wink

Of course these are all moot points if someone doesn't really travel and wants cash back.

You're right about Delta but the vast majority of flight redemptions are about 1 cpp. A $450 round trip flight I was looking at to Florida from JFK was 23,000 points so sometimes you get lucky and find a good value, but most times, you don't. The value of that flight is 1.9 cpp though, still lower than the equivlant of using the USAA Limitless. 

Regarding Marriott points, they're pretty worthless, I'll stand by that opinion. When a free night worth $234 at a Marriott Courtyard costs 25,000 points, they're next to worthless (0.09 cpp). The stress of having to look around for six hours to get 2.5 cpp with Marriott isn't worth it, I'd rather just apply my 2.5% cash back rewards to the stay instead.  

Message 19 of 91
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous good points and I know that not everyone would get the same value.  But when you're booking rooms that have revenue prices of 800+ Euro per night for 45,000 points and you're getting a 5th night free, Marriott points start to become as valuable as many people think of Starpoints. Smiley Wink  The times that I am able to travel don't always leave a lot of options so I don't have to search too much to find a great deal.  I just hope they continue to keep award bookings points based on category and never go to revenue based (i.e. 1 point is worth 1 cent, and the room costs more points when the cash price is higher).

We're going to have to get another room soon if we derail the "cash back" thread more.  Smiley Tongue

Message 20 of 91
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.