cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A credit card with 2.5% cash back on every single purchase – not specific categories

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: A credit card with 2.5% cash back on every single purchase – not specific categories

For just one year, there is also the Discover IT Miles, giving 3% on everything (well, 1.5+1.5).   But after a year it's just another 1.5% card.

But just how valuable a 2.5 (or 3%) card is really varies.   If you just want to use 1 card, then yes, it's obviously better than cards with lower rates.  But those willing to work with several cards, it's worth seeing how much your annual uncategorized spend is.  Then the 0.5% extra, while perhaps worthwhile, often isn't huge.

Message 21 of 91
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: A credit card with 2.5% cash back on every single purchase – not specific categories

To me it's dependent on what you're going for. If cashback is the preference the USAA Limitless/BoA PR are the best for everyday spend. Travel cards depending on your airline/hotel chain is if you want points.

Message 22 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

Man, you teased me with that 5% cash back on everything. I read the details on that card you suggested and saw this nugget "the $49 annual fee will be assessed to the card account one year from credit card account approval."

I despise annual fees.

I make about $100 - 200$ per year on the 2.5% cash back. Minus that $50 annual fee (with the card you suggested), I would only be making about 1.5% to 2% cash back, instead of the 2.5% with USAA. So right back where everyone (except USAA) else is offering. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Message 23 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow K in Boston, 2.65% from BoA even beats the 2.5% of USAA. Impressive! Anyone wanna loan me 100k so I can use it? =p

Message 24 of 91
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

For just one year, there is also the Discover IT Miles, giving 3% on everything (well, 1.5+1.5).   But after a year it's just another 1.5% card.

But just how valuable a 2.5 (or 3%) card is really varies.   If you just want to use 1 card, then yes, it's obviously better than cards with lower rates.  But those willing to work with several cards, it's worth seeing how much your annual uncategorized spend is.  Then the 0.5% extra, while perhaps worthwhile, often isn't huge.

I look at my total CC spend, and subtract:

Travel I want insurance on

Merchandise I want price/purchase protection on

Bonus categories (even with a conservative value for travel redemptions)

Minimum spend towards an occasional new card or retention bonus

...and not very much remains!

As you say, a no/low-bonus 2.5% or 3% card is really only valuable if it gets a lot of spend. I know for how little I'd use it, I'm better off focusing on getting $500+ in travel early on.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 25 of 91
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Man, you teased me with that 5% cash back on everything. I read the details on that card you suggested and saw this nugget "the $49 annual fee will be assessed to the card account one year from credit card account approval."

I despise annual fees.

I make about $100 - 200$ per year on the 2.5% cash back. Minus that $50 annual fee (with the card you suggested), I would only be making about 1.5% to 2% cash back, instead of the 2.5% with USAA. So right back where everyone (except USAA) else is offering. I appreciate the suggestion though.

So a 2% card would get  you $80 - $160, so on that level is spend the difference is really small.  Potentially use of a 5% in a few places would earn more.

Message 26 of 91
happypill
Valued Contributor

BofA Travel Rewards is my default card with 2.625% rewards.  Great card if you can meet the deposit requirement (without costing yourself money of course).

Nobody has mentioned the JCB Marukai - probably because it's kind of weird.  It's a JCB card which is accepted most places on the Discover network.  It's geographically limited (CA and HI I think).  It has a $15 AF and 3% doesn't start until you spend $3k for the year, but you get a $50 bonus if you spend $5k for the year to offset this.  Basically, it's about equal to a 2.5% card if you spend exactly $5k per year.  Everything over that is gravy, as long as you don't have problem with getting the card accepted.

Message 27 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not really sure how you net such little rewards on a 2.5% card. 

$100 a year on the Limitless [or any 2.5% back card]  is $4,000 in spending a year. 

You're telling me you only spend $4-8k a year? 

Message 28 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

@happypill wrote:

BofA Travel Rewards is my default card with 2.625% rewards.  Great card if you can meet the deposit requirement (without costing yourself money of course)...

Here's the catch. Unless you're investing that $100,000+  through ML, you're losing more money than the gains on the cash rewards card is giving you. Bank of America's CD rates are the worst in the industry. 

Message 29 of 91
SBR249
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I despise annual fees.

According to the website: "Rewards credit card members who maintain an active Rewards Savings Program and No Fee Checking account, plus related services including, direct deposit, debit card, free Virtual Branch, and eStatements on all accounts, will have the Rewards Credit Card $49 annual fee waived."

So that sounds like have savings+checking+DD+e-statements = no AF. That seems pretty standard. Even the Limitless requires a monthly DD to get the 2.5% CB rate. 

In any case, the CU is only open to employees/families of local companies in select areas of WI so I doubt there are many on here who would be able to even apply. 

Message 30 of 91
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.