Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A lot of new accounts ..Should I worry?

tag
FinallyBetterCredit
Established Member

A lot of new accounts ..Should I worry?

So I went on a two week application spree. I have opened the following accounts:

BOA Cash Rewards $1000

AMEX BCE $2000

Citi Diamond Preferred $1000

USAA World MasterCard $10,000

Lowes Storecard $800

Walmart Storecard $1000

Should I be worried when all these report that it will cause any of these cards to be closed or a FR from Amex?

USAA World MasterCard 10000, American Express EBC 2000, Citi Diamond Preferred 1000, Chase Freedom Visa 1500, Lowes StoreCard 800,USAA Classic Platinum MasterCard 500, BOA 123 Visa 1000
Your FICO® score at Equifax is
676 as of December 6, 2012
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Re: A lot of new accounts ..Should I worry?

No.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 2 of 9
distantarray
Established Contributor

@FinallyBetterCredit wrote:

So I went on a two week application spree. I have opened the following accounts:

BOA Cash Rewards $1000

AMEX BCE $2000

Lowes Storecard $800

Walmart Storecard $1000

Should I be worried when all these report that it will cause any of these cards to be closed or a FR from Amex?

I wouldn't worry about it, FR"s aren't as common as people think, this definately shouldn't because I got

Amex BCP

Citi Forward

Walmart

Chase Sapphire

Chase Freedom

Navy Federal Platinum

I jumped from $3,900 to 55k in personal credit limits within a month and nothing it's about 3 months since. although I do pay on time with multiple payments each month to keep my balances down. If you want to stay under the radar for sure just enroll in automatic payments Amex seems to like that a lot.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 9
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Smiley Very Happy @ FR

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 9
tray
Valued Contributor

Well six open accounts within a two week span I would be weary,  I opened 2 accounts within a month and I am worried about any repurcussions, to the op I would not open any new accounts for some time let these accounts age and do not keep a high balance at all, keep a low profile, also congrats you have some nice accounts opened.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 9
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I'd be worried!  Actually, I am worried.  I opened up 4 accounts about two weeks ago!  I also opened up 4 accounts about 6 months ago too.  I wasn't so worried then!  I didn't go out and charge a lot or do anything silly then, so I hope if any get worried now, they take into account that I haven't done anything stupid or foolish.  In fact my current util is about 6%.  It is only even that high because I loaned a credit card to my sister who went wild with the thing.  (I am sorry, why did she need to eat at Red Lobster when she just got a new card and that was the reason behind her borrowing my card?  And Wendy's, and ....  you get the picture.) 

If they get worried, point out that your util is low, if it is!  I did that when I reconned for the Discover and Chase cards.  I simply said; I doubt many people came out of Christmas with as little debt as I did.  The lady at Discover chuckled at this in such a way that I knew it wasn't her that fared as well as I did in this.  The lady at Chase was rather pleasant about it too!  (She completely avoided the question about the limit and told me that was determined by the verification department, I knew what this meant!  It meant I was getting a low limit and she didn't want to talk to me about it and that verification couldn't change it!  I didn't care that it was low, but was hoping for twice what it was!)

If any of them are sensitive to new accounts it could be an issue, six accounts is a lot.  I am mostly worried about Barclays in my list and Merrick!  (If Merrick gets annoyed by this I will simply say, did you notice that I paid off my account in full today?  Now, do you think I care?)  I think one of the biggest worries would have been what order you did that in!  (I look at that USAA card and I am thinking really?  My score is higher, maybe I should try for one of them!  The biggest I have is that crazy one from Compass, I still don't understand that!)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 6 of 9
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

As long as you keep your utl low < 5 you should be fine. I opened a total of 17 new accounts in 6 months and nothing happened. My utl never went higher than 3%.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 7 of 9
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@jsickz32 wrote:
As long as you keep your utl low < 5 you should be fine. I opened a total of 17 new accounts in 6 months and nothing happened. My utl never went higher than 3%.

+1 - as long as you maintain low util, you should be fine. But, should a lender take AA against you, you can always argure your point such as "getting the best rewards based on my spending habits". They really cannot argue with smart spending.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 8 of 9
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@FinallyBetterCredit wrote:

BOA Cash Rewards $1000

AMEX BCE $2000

Lowes Storecard $800

Walmart Storecard $1000

Worried?  Don't be worried, the "damage" has already been done and you can't reverse it.  Look forward to what you have and if something adverse happens, take it as a lesson learned.  No use worrying over something that's out of your control.  Nice haul on that spree though!    

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.