Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new use for Discover cashback

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

A new use for Discover cashback

Up till now I've always used any cashback for either a statement credit or a deposit into my checking account  But a few days ago I was looking through some of the Partner Gift Card options and realized I could take advantage of a 2 for 1 redemption for a rental car.

Since I have a current reservation for next week I went ahead and redeemed my CB and will get a $80 discount on my rental charges. I'll take that.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: A new use for Discover cashback

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Up till now I've always used any cashback for either a statement credit or a deposit into my checking account  But a few days ago I was looking through some of the Partner Gift Card options and realized I could take advantage of a 2 for 1 redemption for a rental car.

Since I have a current reservation for next week I went ahead and redeemed my CB and will get a $80 discount on my rental charges. I'll take that.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Nice rewards channeling, and timing on the rental, usually take the credit or deposit too but have been hoping to see a better value I can make use of.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 11
freeflow18

I just started taking advantage of the 5% cashback as well, let's hope for some good deals on gas cards I once read about 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

as a Discover user, do you find they are easy to work with?

We have been with them for about 2 years now and get auto CLI, which is nice, but I really want a lower interest rate. I just paid off all my credit card balances in the last week and want to wait it out until everything updates and I am very timid about calling these card companies to see what I can get. I do not want anymore CLI, I would love a lower rate because I really want to make Discover my go to card and make all my bills that can be on auto pay. In any case, is Discover pretty nice to the consumer when they want something? With the economic slump I feel like credit card companies feel like they have the consumer in a vice and they can take or leave you at will. Pretty much just terrified of calling a grouchy company.

Thanks for any help.

Message 4 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

as a Discover user, do you find they are easy to work with?

We have been with them for about 2 years now and get auto CLI, which is nice, but I really want a lower interest rate. I just paid off all my credit card balances in the last week and want to wait it out until everything updates and I am very timid about calling these card companies to see what I can get. I do not want anymore CLI, I would love a lower rate because I really want to make Discover my go to card and make all my bills that can be on auto pay. In any case, is Discover pretty nice to the consumer when they want something? With the economic slump I feel like credit card companies feel like they have the consumer in a vice and they can take or leave you at will. Pretty much just terrified of calling a grouchy company.

Thanks for any help.

Hi there.

I'm not sure who you were asking this from but I'll give my 2 cents. I've always had an excellent relationship with Discover but others will tell you they are a scourge!!  Smiley Happy

As with many things having to do with credit it's a YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) situation.

You shouldn't worry about what an APR is on a card. Having said that I used to be the same way before I realized that paying interest because I carried balances from month to month only made the card companies happy.

I use my Discover for almost everything. So far this year I've put about $22,000 through it but I haven't paid any interest. Don't use a card (any card) to make purchases unless you already have the money in the bank beforehand. That way you pay as you go and never get behind and never carry any balances from month to month and never have any finance charges.

I fully realize that real life can get in the way of our plans and goals and there might be times that you will have to carry a balance. It happens but it's not the end of the world. If that happens (and probably will) just stop using the card for any charges until the balance is taken care of in the next month or two.

All this is just one man's opinion of course.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you so much MV for the opinion. I really want the lower rate as an option more than anything else. my husband travels for a living (he is gone usually 3 weeks out of the month for work) and his work reimburses his expenses, depending on the way things go with getting the expenses turned in and where in the country he is it can take awhile to get reimbursed. he does have a company card with a 15K limit, and i know its a crazy thought some months, but sometimes he doesnt have enough credit to get through a trip - which i should add doesnt happen all the time but he has been out on the road for 2 months at a time and it gets somewhat crazy.

over the last 15 months i have been bringing the scores up and we are tightening our purse strings, i would love to live off of more cash and see more money in the pockets of us rather than the pockets of the banks - crazy thought right? haha - thanks again for the opinion, it is always welcome; your advice across this board is tremendous!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi mjs,

Have you called Discover and asked for lower your APR?

Here is my case ... one day I called and ask Discover to lower my APR.  They did not give me what I wanted, bit they gave me temporary reduced APR for six months.  It may not what you want, but it will help you somewhat if Discover gives you the same temporary APR reduction.  Good luck on that ...

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My favorite cash back promo of all time had to be the gas gift card that was offered about 1 month ago. The cost was $20 for one card, but the actual value was $40 dollars. I know alot of people loved this deal. I know I did Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

rabbit - good point. something worth keeping on the back burner. i just paid them off about 6 days ago and got a letter in the mail with a 1k increase in limit...more util room if need be, but hopefully wont ever have to be!

Message 9 of 11
hdporter
Regular Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

$80 discount?  Best I see is use of $20 in rebates for a $40 certificate, with limit of 1 certificate per rental?  Still a good deal, but I'd love to get $80 (or more) of a single rental.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.