cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A newbie looking for some advice from the pros. Please help!!

tag
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: A newbie looking for some advice from the pros. Please help!!

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll start typing up the GW letter and gathering the information I need to send them out on Monday. Would you be willing to help me? Smiley Happy You've been soooo nice and super helpful and I really appreciate it. I'm a newcomer and doing this all on my own so I need all the help I can get...lol.

I'm hoping that they'll remove something from my CR. I have 3 late payments, February 2017, December 2017 & January 2018 (which is the 60 day late one). I'll also be settling with Midland for 40% off so that will be deleted hopefully by March. *fingers crossed*

Of course -- feel free to send me a private message (the little envelope at the top right next to your notification bell) anytime.   You've been amazing - you're so willing to read, take in all the advice, and act on it (believe it or not, that's kind of a rarity).    You'll have stellar reports in no time if you keep going like this.  Try not to be intimidated because you're new to this -- just keep asking questions (there are no stupid/silly questions).  If you start to feel overwhelmed, then make a to-do list & try just accomplishing one thing at a time. 

If you settle with Midland  (40% is a great offer - their lowest) they will definately remove the tradeline after you complete your required payment(s).   

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 31 of 80
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I can look forward to this being removed from my CR next month? The whole account or just the late payments/delinquencies? A lot of my older 2012-2013 accounts are going to be remoevd this year (as expected), but you're right — one less derog on my report. That just leaves the Midland collection & the 3 late payments from Comenity.

Yes - The whole account will go.  It was never brought to 'current' status so it remains a derogatory account and will be removed.   You'll lose the age & history for that account.    

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 32 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll start typing up the GW letter and gathering the information I need to send them out on Monday. Would you be willing to help me? Smiley Happy You've been soooo nice and super helpful and I really appreciate it. I'm a newcomer and doing this all on my own so I need all the help I can get...lol.

I'm hoping that they'll remove something from my CR. I have 3 late payments, February 2017, December 2017 & January 2018 (which is the 60 day late one). I'll also be settling with Midland for 40% off so that will be deleted hopefully by March. *fingers crossed*

Of course -- feel free to send me a private message (the little envelope at the top right next to your notification bell) anytime.   You've been amazing - you're so willing to read, take in all the advice, and act on it (believe it or not, that's kind of a rarity).    You'll have stellar reports in no time if you keep going like this.  Try not to be intimidated because you're new to this -- just keep asking questions (there are no stupid/silly questions).  If you start to feel overwhelmed, then make a to-do list & try just accomplishing one thing at a time. 

If you settle with Midland  (40% is a great offer - their lowest) they will definately remove the tradeline after you complete your required payment(s).   

I absolutely will!! Thank you so so so much. Smiley Happy My credit score is my baby and I really want to have a good score again. If I told you how many times a day I check in and monitor my reports you'd think I was going a little nuts, lol.

I have another question though. I was looking at the report again from AnnualCreditReport (I saved it to my computer) and it says something about Midland falling off in April 2020. I'll paste it below:

MIDLAND FUNDING LLC #856325**** 320 EAST BIG BEAVER RD#300 TROY, MI 48083 (844) 236-1959
Placed for collection:
04/29/2014
Responsibility: Individual Account Account Type: Open Account Loan Type: DEBT BUYER
Balance: $694 Date Updated: 12/20/2019 Original Amount: $694 Original Creditor: CITIBANK N A Past Due: >$694<
Pay Status: >In Collection<
Page 4 of 13
Remarks: Account information disputed by consumer (FCRA); >PLACED FOR COLLECTION< Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 04/2020

Does this date mean anything? What does it mean by removed?

Message 33 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So I can look forward to this being removed from my CR next month? The whole account or just the late payments/delinquencies? A lot of my older 2012-2013 accounts are going to be remoevd this year (as expected), but you're right — one less derog on my report. That just leaves the Midland collection & the 3 late payments from Comenity.

Yes - The whole account will go.  It was never brought to 'current' status so it remains a derogatory account and will be removed.   You'll lose the age & history for that account.    

Gotcha! I'm willing to take the hit on the AA to get rid of the derog account.

Message 34 of 80
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I absolutely will!! Thank you so so so much. Smiley Happy My credit score is my baby and I really want to have a good score again. If I told you how many times a day I check in and monitor my reports you'd think I was going a little nuts, lol.

I have another question though. I was looking at the report again from AnnualCreditReport (I saved it to my computer) and it says something about Midland falling off in April 2020. I'll paste it below:

MIDLAND FUNDING LLC #856325**** 320 EAST BIG BEAVER RD#300 TROY, MI 48083 (844) 236-1959
Placed for collection:
04/29/2014
Responsibility: Individual Account Account Type: Open Account Loan Type: DEBT BUYER
Balance: $694 Date Updated: 12/20/2019 Original Amount: $694 Original Creditor: CITIBANK N A Past Due: >$694<
Page 4 of 13
Remarks: Account information disputed by consumer (FCRA); >PLACED FOR COLLECTION< Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 04/2020

Ok... back-up a minute.  lol... I'm a little confused.   (I hope I don't confuse you too)

Is the Midland collection for the account with the 120-day late that's set to fall off in Feb. 2020 (the one that was sold but not a charge-off)?   Because I thought that account was Commenity?    This Midland account you just posted says the original creditor was CitiBank... is there another charged-off account on your reports for Citi? 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 35 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Placed for collection:
04/29/2014
Page 4 of 13

Ok... back-up a minute.  lol... I'm a little confused.   (I hope I don't confuse you too)

Is the Midland collection for the account with the 120-day late that's set to fall off in Feb. 2020 (the one that was sold but not a charge-off)?   Because I thought that account was Commenity?    This Midland account you just posted says the original creditor was CitiBank... is there another charged-off account on your reports for Citi? 

OMG, I'm so sorry...I didn't mean to confuse you. The Midland collection is from my Cap1/BestBuy account from back in 2013. It went over 120+ days late and was closed and sent to collections. I don't know if you know, or maybe you do but before Capital One handled Best Buy it was Citibank then it was closed and picked up by Midland Funding. That's why it says Citi on it, because at the time it was with Citi before Capital One took it over. I currently owe $694 to Midland, but I noticed the same wording that it was being removed. That's why I asked what it mnean. I hope that made sense!!

The Comenity amound for $645 is from a previously open account with them from a completely different lender in 2017. It was closed by the credit grantor with a balance that I'm now currently paying off. Just made an extra payment today. Smiley HappyThis is the account that I have 3 late payments on, 2 - 30's and 1 - 60 that I'm going to send out GW's letters to and try to get some if not all removed. The account is closed but not by charge-off or anything.

Message 36 of 80
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OMG, I'm so sorry...I didn't mean to confuse you. The Midland collection is from my Cap1/BestBuy account from back in 2013. It went over 120+ days late and was closed and sent to collections. I don't know if you know, or maybe you do but before Capital One handled Best Buy it was Citibank then it was closed and picked up by Midland Funding. That's why it says Citi on it, because at the time it was with Citi before Capital One took it over. I currently owe $694 to Midland, but I noticed the same wording that it was being removed. That's why I asked what it mnean. I hope that made sense!!

The Comenity amound for $645 is from a previously open account with them from a completely different lender in 2017. It was closed by the credit grantor with a balance that I'm now currently paying off. Just made an extra payment today. Smiley HappyThis is the account that I have 3 late payments on, 2 - 30's and 1 - 60 that I'm going to send out GW's letters to and try to get some if not all removed. The account is closed but not by charge-off or anything.

Ah-ha!  haha, I got it now.  No worries.   

So,  Midland and "Cap 1/BB ~ No balance, opened Jan 2009 and closed May 2013 (I have a 120+ day late payment on it)"  are the same debt.    So they should both be removed at the same time.   If your reports are showing a 2/2020 removal date for the Cap 1/BB account, then the Midland collection for that account should also have a 2/2020 removal date (not 4/2020).   Collections have the same reporting terms - 7 years from the Date of First Delinquency - so it should not remain longer than the tradeline from the original creditor.

If I were you,  I'd contact Transunion first (tomorrow) and request they remove both the Midland collection and the Cap1/BB tradeline as both recorded removal dates (2/20 and 4/20) are within the 6 month window for early exclusion.   This should be an easy call.    Then, contact Experian and ask for the same as both 2/2020 and 4/2020 are within the 3 month window.  If Experian gives you a hard time about the Midland collection -- then explain that the Cap1/BB debt and the Midland debt are the same and should both have a removal date of 2/2020-- see if that works.     For Equifax - call them and try to remove the Cap1/BB tradeline since it's within their 1 month window -- they may or may not do it because they're strangebirds; if you are successful, then explain the same about how Midland is for the same debt and see if they'll remove that one too.   Worst case scenario,  you have to wait till 4/2020 for both tradelines to be removed from all 3 reports.      Remember:  You may (likely) need to request a Supervisor for each call because the reps may not have the authority (or have no clue what you're asking). 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 37 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ah-ha!  haha, I got it now.  No worries.   

So,  Midland and "Cap 1/BB ~ No balance, opened Jan 2009 and closed May 2013 (I have a 120+ day late payment on it)"  are the same debt.    So they should both be removed at the same time.   If your reports are showing a 2/2020 removal date for the Cap 1/BB account, then the Midland collection for that account should also have a 2/2020 removal date (not 4/2020).   Collections have the same reporting terms - 7 years from the Date of First Delinquency - so it should not remain longer than the tradeline from the original creditor.

If I were you,  I'd contact Transunion first (tomorrow) and request they remove both the Midland collection and the Cap1/BB tradeline as both recorded removal dates (2/20 and 4/20) are within the 6 month window for early exclusion.   This should be an easy call.    Then, contact Experian and ask for the same as both 2/2020 and 4/2020 are within the 3 month window.  If Experian gives you a hard time about the Midland collection -- then explain that the Cap1/BB debt and the Midland debt are the same and should both have a removal date of 2/2020-- see if that works.     For Equifax - call them and try to remove the Cap1/BB tradeline since it's within their 1 month window -- they may or may not do it because they're strangebirds; if you are successful, then explain the same about how Midland is for the same debt and see if they'll remove that one too.   Worst case scenario,  you have to wait till 4/2020 for both tradelines to be removed from all 3 reports.      Remember:  You may (likely) need to request a Supervisor for each call because the reps may not have the authority (or have no clue what you're asking). 

Yup!! Same debt. That's weird that it says different dates on it. I'll definitely call everyone tomorrow, it won't reset any age or anything will it? I know sometimes collections can do that and even though I'm only calling the CB's it's not going to do any harm will it?

Message 38 of 80
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yup!! Same debt. That's weird that it says different dates on it. 

Reporting error (on Midland's part).  It happens -- they got the DOFD wrong and if disputed, it would need to be corrected by the collection agency.

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll definitely call everyone tomorrow, it won't reset any age or anything will it? I know sometimes collections can do that and even though I'm only calling the CB's it's not going to do any harm will it?

Nope.  Will not reset your DOFD or anything like that.   The worst that can happen is they tell you no, you have to wait. 

You can search the forum for Early Exclusion and/or EE for other peoples' experiences/successes. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 39 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yup!! Same debt. That's weird that it says different dates on it. 

Reporting error (on Midland's part).  It happens -- they got the DOFD wrong and if disputed, it would need to be corrected by the collection agency.

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll definitely call everyone tomorrow, it won't reset any age or anything will it? I know sometimes collections can do that and even though I'm only calling the CB's it's not going to do any harm will it?

Nope.  Will not reset your DOFD or anything like that.   The worst that can happen is they tell you no, you have to wait. 

You can search the forum for Early Exclusion and/or EE for other peoples' experiences/successes. 

Will do!!! I want to thank you again for all your help, it definitely means a lot to me. I've taken all your advice and started a checklist to tackle. I'll find out what the CB's say about the Early Exclusion and I'll read up on some of the threads here in the forum on it too.  I'll send you a DM and give you an update on what they say. Then Monday we'll start the GW letters to Comenity. Smiley Happy

Message 40 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.