Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A pack of gum ....

tag
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

A pack of gum ....

More often than not, the phrase "a pack of gum" comes up on myfico. Smiley Very Happy I wonder why that is. Haha! Do Americans love gum so much? Since I am an immigrant from Europe, I do not fancy gum so much. I love comestibles. Things that you can finally swallow after you chewed them thoroughly.

What else could you buy to keep your credit card active other than the ubiquitous pack of gum?

My suggestion: a bar of chocolateSmiley Happy

Any other no-gum infinitesimally small purchase amount credit card chargers? What's your chewing gum surrogate? Or am upsetting the apple cart by vituperating those gum buyers?

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
DI
Super Contributor

Re: A pack of gum ....

@wollepopolle wrote:

More often than not, the phrase "a pack of gum" comes up on myfico. Smiley Very Happy I wonder why that is. Haha! Do Americans love gum so much? Since I am an immigrant from Europe, I do not fancy gum so much. I love comestibles. Things that you can finally swallow after you chewed them thoroughly.

What else could you buy to keep your credit card active other than the ubiquitous pack of gum?

Any other no-gum infinitesimally small purchase amount credit card chargers? What's your chewing gum surrogate? Or am upsetting the apple cart by vituperating those gum buyers?

A pack of gum and a bar of chocolate are both great.   Buying both just to keep your credit card active not only would do just that, but it'd keep you in good health too.

Sugar free gum contains XYLITOL.  It helps cleans and protect your enamels.  Eating dark chocolate, which naturally contains Flavonoids(antioxidant) ,  helps fights free radicals.

Message 2 of 27
andre181
Established Contributor

I am a big gum chewer, so I buy like 3 or 4 packs at a time while doing my normal grocery shopping

But some of the things I do to keep my CC's active are:

Monthly newspaper subscription $8/month

Netflix subscription ~$11/month

Hulu+ subscription ~$8/month

I also very frequently stop at McDonalds to get a Powerade for $1.00

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 3 of 27
p-
Valued Contributor

@wollepopolle wrote:

I have a few bills that auto-charge a card; netflix, gym membership, etc.  I have each one use a different credit card, then I pay it off right away.  That way my cards all have activity on them each month even if they are at the back of the wallet.  Then, I use the best rewards card for all daily spending with immediate payoff.  

The hard one for me is geting activity on retail cards.  My wife has Sears and Penny's; she uses the Penny's for school clothes for the kids, and gets some riddiculous compound discounts, but Sears rarely gets dusted off.  I wish they sold gum and chocolate at the register...

Message 4 of 27
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

I am chewing gum right now; it is good for the teeth and the right variety opens up sinuses, too.  Gum is not that inexpensive, though, and I'm not going to pay more than 50 cents for a pack of 10 pieces, and what is it for a large pack?  Over $1?  I buy a box of at least ten packs from Sam's Club to save money by buying in bulk.  We go through it, too, so it really is a money-saver.

Smiley Happy

I normally buy large bars of chocolate, too, and I think they're $1 or $2 from Walmart.  I mean, the BIG bars (Symphony with toffee and almonds.)  That would be my small-purchase-of-choice.

Truthfully, I feel silly making one tiny purchase with a credit card.  I've done it, but I feel weird about it.  I guess it's less weird than it used to be.  Using cash is considered the weird option now, probably.

Not applicable

socks on the retail cards Smiley Tongue

It's how I keep Dillard's happy when there's not a wedding on the calendar.

And they do have great socks. 

Message 6 of 27
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

socks on the retail cards Smiley Tongue

It's how I keep Dillard's happy when there's not a wedding on the calendar.

And they do have great socks. 

chocolate... socks... chocolate... socks...

hmmm

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 27
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

chocolate... socks... chocolate... socks...

hmmm

Please tell me not at the same time... Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 27
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Netflix

newspaper subscription

cell phone bill

credit monitoring service

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 9 of 27
DI
Super Contributor

@ChesterPDexter wrote:

I am chewing gum right now; it is good for the teeth and the right variety opens up sinuses, too.  Gum is not that inexpensive, though, and I'm not going to pay more than 50 cents for a pack of 10 pieces, and what is it for a large pack?  Over $1?  I buy a box of at least ten packs from Sam's Club to save money by buying in bulk.  We go through it, too, so it really is a money-saver.

Smiley Happy

I normally buy large bars of chocolate, too, and I think they're $1 or $2 from Walmart.  I mean, the BIG bars (Symphony with toffee and almonds.)  That would be my small-purchase-of-choice.

Truthfully, I feel silly making one tiny purchase with a credit card.  I've done it, but I feel weird about it.  I guess it's less weird than it used to be.  Using cash is considered the weird option now, probably.

I buy Trident SuperPack sugar free gum. It cost about $2.00+  For chocolate, I only buy Hershey Dark Chocolate.   I eat no other sweets when planning to eat the chocolate.  Chocolate is high in fats, but the Flavanoids are worth it.     Milk chocolate and etc. are the bad chocolates that one shouldn't consume too often. 

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.