Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A person walks into a retail store...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A person walks into a retail store...

They shop. Go to the checkout. Use a credit card to pay. At the bottom of the recipt is a credit card offer.

Does this still happen?

A long time ago I had read how if you went into Target and shopped and then paid with a credit card, you could be auto approved for a card.

Does anyone ever heard of this too? Do any other retail stores do it?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A person walks into a retail store...

I don't shop at Target super regularly, but a few times a year for a total of $704 according to my account (It's mainly online for pick-up, but also some in person shopping that's not included in the 704). I'm registered on their website, etc., etc. - there's never been an offer when I checked out.

Message 2 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Not as much these days.  Some retail partners such as CCs serviced by Comenity or SYNCB, for instance, may offer those types of pre-approved offers in-store, especially to loyalty customers, but not nearly as common as in the past.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t think I have ever seen this recently. I think just pure marketing if it is.

The Card Act in 2009 limited predatory practices of just handing cards out to people who can’t pay. If Target was shown to be targeting people based on just the premise that they were running a debit card as credit or maybe on a AU card, that could get them into trouble now.

You are more protected as a consumer now against these practices. You can also see it as harder to obtain unsecured revolving credit, but I think we have come to a happy medium since the days where CC were very much interest debt products to a lot of companies.
Message 4 of 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

I hope you were able to find your answer.

For some reason, I was hoping for a punchline. 😉
Message 5 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@AllZero wrote:
I hope you were able to find your answer.

For some reason, I was hoping for a punchline. 😉

@AllZero  .. I am with you on that one Smiley Indifferent

Closest thing OP will get to that is The Shopping Cart Trick (SCT)

Message 6 of 11
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They shop. Go to the checkout. Use a credit card to pay. At the bottom of the recipt is a credit card offer.

Does this still happen?

A long time ago I had read how if you went into Target and shopped and then paid with a credit card, you could be auto approved for a card.

This is how I ended up with a Sears card in 1994.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 7 of 11
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Hmmm I've never even heard of this honestly lol 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikesonthemend wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Does this still happen?

This is how I ended up with a Sears card in 1994.

I was in a Home Depot in 2007. We had just closed on our house and were looking for carpeting. I was sitting there and looking at the computer screen when an invite for a Home Depot card came up. The sales person hit enter and I asked but they just said that happened every so often. About a week later I recieved an envelope with a Home Depot credit card with a CL of $2.5k. (Not the accounts I have now, apparently they do forgive.) 

Maybe that's the punchline? Some of us really got credit that way. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Hmmm I've never even heard of this honestly lol 

I've only seen it a few times at places like Eddie Bauer, where when you paid with a CC they would advertise for their store card etc. 

Just neverbeen a fan of store cards is all.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.