Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about Chase and Citi HP requests

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

A question about Chase and Citi HP requests

So, while I have no plans to close any cards, I really do not use more than three or four of them .
With 🧦 bank CLI issues being a thing of the past, my main focus are Chase and Citi.

I wanted to ask for increase on CSR (recently PCed from CSP) because I intend to use it more, but when I looked at spending summary, I only spent around $25,000.00 on it last year. Limit is $16,700.00. 🤷‍♀️
Should I wait a few months while card sees more spend, or leave it be as is?
I guess my question is how much spend affects outcome of CLI requests with Chase

Up next, Citi. Card is new(ish), I'm going to wait till SP language shows, then if CLI granted, follow it up with HP and be done with it. That might be several months in the future as I have no clue when SP language may show up.
Question here is, are Citi HPs worth it?
I dont expect limit to triple, but I'd like to get it up to at least $10K between SP and HP
It was approved for $5200.00

Thank you in advance for your opinions and suggestions
Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

Re: A question about Chase and Citi HP requests

I have only requested a CLI with a HP once with Citi, in October 2016, but I went from $9500 (my starting line) to $30,000 after I had the card for a year. It wasn't immediate, but approved within 24 hours. Interestingly, I managed this with my BK7 still reporting (was gone within 6 months after I put in the request). Once the BK7 fell off, I have been getting SP CLI (up to $8k at a time) ever since.

I was able to get a HP CLI with Chase once, but it wasn't nearly as fruitful ($2500 to $7500) in May 2016. No plans to ever try again. 

Message 2 of 44
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I think Chase would give me $500.00 with double HP.
The option of gutting Freedom is there in case I chicken out.
Message 3 of 44
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I feel ya.  When I opened CFU in 2018, they took $10k from another card (I have 4 - CSR, Amazon, CFU, CF), so I am certain they aren't going give me anything more. Every so often I just shuffle things around. Since I only use CF for categorical spending, I cut that limit down to $2500. I use CSR the most and have shuffled limits so that it continues to have the highest SL. 

Message 4 of 44
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@iheartwings wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I feel ya.  When I opened CFU in 2018, they took $10k from another card (I have 4 - CSR, Amazon, CFU, CF), so I am certain they aren't going give me anything more. Every so often I just shuffle things around. Since I only use CF for categorical spending, I cut that limit down to $2500. I use CSR the most and have shuffled limits so that it continues to have the highest SL. 

My barely used Freedom is at $11,100 so moving most of it shouldn't be a problem.

I guess since most of my HPs are now gone, I'm not bothered with ending up with some, but not in vain lol

Message 5 of 44
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

All of my Citi growth has been with SPs.  Diamond Preferred opened Nov 2016 at $5,600 and now at $18,300.  Premier opened April 2018 at $3,000 and now at $8,000.  I did try a HP CLI with Premier when I activated it, but it was denied.  I have seen great growth from others with HPs.  Citi doesn't seem to care as much about use as they do with a history of making on-time payments on their cards.  DP had the 21 month balance transfer on it, and saw maybe $1500 of charges due to bonus offers (and it was okay to mix and match BT with purchases since both were 0%).  It has not been used once since the PC to Rewards+ but the SP CLIs keep coming.

With Chase, the two times I have experience with being approved* for a HP CLI it was from $9,700 to $19,400 on the CFU AU card and more recently in 2019 on my CSR from $14,000 to $28,000.  So both times it was a doubling of the credit line.  Both 2018 and 2019 spend on CSR was about $15,000, so I think you are more than justified in asking for a CLI.

* I mention this because immediately (like minutes later) after being denied for a CLI on my Freedom card from 2007 on 31 DEC 2016 I was approved for a new $12,000 CSP.  I was also approved for a new $15,000 CFU a few weeks after the $14k CLI on my CSR, and got a $1500 auto CLI on Freedom a few months later.  So just because they only give a specific amount on a CLI (or none at all) doesn't necessarily mean they won't extend you more credit elsewhere.

Message 6 of 44
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Thanks, K. That's very helpful

I was going to chicken out, but now I dont know if I should chicken out, or non chicken.
I'll let you decide when the time comes or I'll be asking this same question in 2025 😂
Message 7 of 44
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

No problem at all.  Your soft pull language for Citi should be coming any day now.  Mine came at 78 days after approval.  If you are okay playing the long game, save the HP.  If you want more now, go for it.  The worst you have to lose is a HP, and who knows?  Maybe you'll get a $20k limit.  If you want to save the HP, know that it's nearly guaranteed that you're going to get 3 SP CLIs over the next 13 or 14 months, and that you have a good chance of being over $10k by March 2021.

As for Chase, just go for it.   I would be shocked if you didn't see a very large CLI.  Chase cares more about credit scores, overall utilization, and income, than anything else in my experience.

Message 8 of 44
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Can't speak for chase as they are a bit more rigid on CLI requests, but if willing to take one or two hp's no harm imo and 25k on csp is decent spend honestly..

Citi is very easy to get a big CLI as I am proof of that.  Did a SP cli last time and eventually just said F it and asked for 25k and was granted 25k within an hour or so.. I am certain I could of got 35 to 40k from that hp as no where near my exposure limit with them.  If you scores/income support it which they do and want to just get it where you would like vs. doing sp's every 3 months do a hp request after and it should be graned assuming you have used the card a decent bit.  Best of luck!

Message 9 of 44
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriosity  thank you 

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.