Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A quick thought

tag
Itgem679
Regular Contributor

A quick thought

This popped into my head last night, and I wanted to "talk it out" with the many Supreme (and Supreme in training) Beings here...
Here are my current cards and their info (don't judge):
Discover - $1250 (not rec'vd in the mail yet)
Discover (sec) - $300
OpenSky (sec) - $200
First Access - $300
Credit One - $450
Shell SC - $400
Shell MC - $750
Amazon SC - $100
Here's my question:
Now that I have been approved for the $1250 from Discover, should I close First Access and/or Credit One? If so, this should be done after the new Discover shows up, right?
Gardening until 2023. Current scores (11/2022): Ex: 757 Eq: 757 Tu: 757
CLs: (As of 12/2022)
First Tech World Mastercard: $10k
American Express: $1K
AAdvantage: $2.8K
Wells Fargo Platinum: $4.6K
Discover It (blue): $4.5K
Discover It (red): $4.5K
~6 other cards with limits under $2K
Auth'd user on 1 Capital One card.
All balances stay under 5%.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: A quick thought

@Itgem679 wrote:
This popped into my head last night, and I wanted to "talk it out" with the many Supreme (and Supreme in training) Beings here...
Discover (sec) - $300
OpenSky (sec) - $200
First Access - $300
Credit One - $450
Shell SC - $400
Shell MC - $750
Amazon SC - $100
Here's my question:
Now that I have been approved for the $1250 from Discover, should I close First Access and/or Credit One? If so, this should be done after the new Discover shows up, right?

Personally, I would close the CreditOne no matter what, as long as there is a $0 balance. It really doesn't matter if it’s before or after Discover card is in your pocket. 

Also, on another note. Two retail cards are plenty at this time so I suggest not applying for any more. 

Congrats on the unsecured Discover. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Itgem679 wrote:
Discover (sec) - $300
OpenSky (sec) - $200
First Access - $300
Credit One - $450
Shell SC - $400
Shell MC - $750
Amazon SC - $100
Here's my question:
Now that I have been approved for the $1250 from Discover, should I close First Access and/or Credit One? If so, this should be done after the new Discover shows up, right? YES

Close those 3 and evaluate the others for actual use.  If you're not using them now you probably won't down the road either. 

Close the Shell SC since you have the same MC unless there's a real reason to keep both of them.

Keep both Disco's since after a year you can combine them when there's a CLI available to either of them.  Just have to call to combine before taking the CLI.

Amazon's fine since it's a 5% discount and you can work Sync up the CL food chain when your TU score is high enough with a phone call to CS.

Over the next couple of years there's going to be a lot of swapping CC's when you get new ones and kill old ones off in the process.  It's just part of the process.

Message 3 of 6
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Any of the cards that have a monthly fee (like Credit One) make sure you cancel electronic statement's before calling to close the account.

Once the account is closed people have difficulty accessing the closed account, and find out a statement cut with a balance due when the missed payment reports.

Comenity issued card's also have this flaw; you get emails saying a new statement is available online, or a new document is available-- but you can't log in to view or pay.
Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 4 of 6
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Itgem679 wrote:
Discover (sec) - $300
OpenSky (sec) - $200
First Access - $300
Credit One - $450
Shell SC - $400
Shell MC - $750
Amazon SC - $100
Here's my question:
Now that I have been approved for the $1250 from Discover, should I close First Access and/or Credit One? If so, this should be done after the new Discover shows up, right? YES

Close those 3 and evaluate the others for actual use.  If you're not using them now you probably won't down the road either. 

Close the Shell SC since you have the same MC unless there's a real reason to keep both of them.

Keep both Disco's since after a year you can combine them when there's a CLI available to either of them.  Just have to call to combine before taking the CLI.

Amazon's fine since it's a 5% discount and you can work Sync up the CL food chain when your TU score is high enough with a phone call to CS.

Over the next couple of years there's going to be a lot of swapping CC's when you get new ones and kill old ones off in the process.  It's just part of the process.

Agreed.

I closed all my secured cards as soon as I got my amex gold.

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 5 of 6
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Close any and all subprime cards right away. Now that you have good cards, you don't need Garbage One anymore. Congrats on the new Disco and good luck!!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.