Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A side from Chase....

tag
Gatito
Contributor

A side from Chase....

Not counting Chase because I know people like the Chase combo with the sapphire preferred and unlimited cash back card what are the best card combos to have to be able to maximize on their purchases?

Right now I only have the Discover it I use as my main card still within the first year match the marvel card and the capital one quicksilver 1.5%.

Store cards I just have a j crew and a nordstrom rack everything else I got rid of because I didn't want to have a bunch of cards I don't use.

I was looking into getting the double cash once the discover it match year comes due but I wanted to reach out to see how myfico folks play the game Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

Re: A side from Chase....

Chase is the 1 2 punch for UR's.  Amex you can utilize ED, EDP and PRG to generate MR points.  DC is a good pick up when DCVR double runs out.

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 2 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@JustBPatient wrote:

Chase is the 1 2 punch for UR's.  Amex you can utilize ED, EDP and PRG to generate MR points.  DC is a good pick up when DCVR double runs out.

EDP and Platinum make a decent Amex combination. I think EDP and PRG overlap a bit too much; better to pay more and get serious perks with Platinum. I used to have both, but downgraded my EDP to an ED since I found myself too focused on my transaction count.

Instead of apping for a DC, maybe pick up a card with a nice travel bonus and PC to DoubleCash after the first year.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 8
Gatito
Contributor

Thats what I was thinking but I have once or twice been hit with visa or MC only at certain places and I'm always nervous walking around with just discover, if they don't accept it I'm SOL.  I am in the 5/24 so I am kind of locked out from Chase right now. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really like the EDP and Platinum suggestion but make sure you're ok with the 550 AF
Message 5 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I really like the EDP and Platinum suggestion but make sure you're ok with the 550 AF

Don't forget the EDP fee...so it would be $95+$450=$545 or $95+$550=$645.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 8
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

Freedom, CSR, BCP, It, and NFCU CashRewards are my drivers. Freedom or Discover for gas right now because of 5%, BCP for 6% groceries, Discover for 5% BJ's wholesale right now, Cash+ for 5% cell phone, CSR for dining out and any travel purchases. Cash Rewards for 1.5% everywhere else. So psyched for 5% drugstore purchases next quarter with the Freedom and Discover with 5% for home improvement (get to buy my gardening supplies!).

Message 7 of 8
yfan
Valued Contributor

Depends on what you're looking for and how many cards you're willing to combine. For me, this is what works best:

- Discover for whatever 5% category they have if it's useful plus Discover deals.
- Chase Amazon for 5% on Amazon with prime.
- Costco Citi Visa for gas (4%) and dining (3%).
- Bank of America Cash rewards for Costco warehouse (2.2% including checking redemption bonus)
- Citi Double Cash or Capital One Quicksilver for the rest.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.