AA Advantage 50k vs USAirways 50k promo

tag
hiro905
Valued Member

Re: AA Advantage 50k vs USAirways 50k promo

@onstar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

ya know, I always autosign up for paperless statements, and yet I haven't got shiz from barclay Smiley Sad

anyway, i'm thinkin' about purchasing those discounted miles now... then I can have 100k miles. should be enough for business class to europe

This has worked for some, but if you opt out of paperless statements, and reselect it again later, you may receive or trigger the promo.

Damn, I never got the $25 promo because I selected paperless statements at sign up. I just opted out. I'll see if I get the $25 offer to go back to paperless.

The $25 offer for paperless statement was a limited time thing that ended on Dec 31st.  You can always try calling and asking

Message 31 of 42
Nick521

I created a Dividend Miles account yesterday. If I apply for the US Airways card now, and give AA my Dividend Miles number to merge, right now I have no miles to merge, will it automatically transfer when the miles are deposited into my US Airways account?

Message 32 of 42
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@joedtx wrote:

What about the product that this will become after the merger? Is is really the same product....I read this in the T & C

Companion Ticket:

You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate (the "Companion Certificate") redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each (plus taxes and fees) provided that: (1) $30,000 or more in eligible Net Purchases are made with your Account during the card membership year (each 12 month period

So I would have to spend $30K to possibly get up to 2 companion $99 tickets under the new product?

I'm notsure what question you're asking.  They're won't be a 'new' product as far as the credit cards go.  The Barc,says USAirways card will be converted to a Barclays AA card and tthe acini AA card will be the same.  To get the USAirways companion certificate there is no spend requirement.  Not sure what T&C you are quoting 

Ok let me clarify I was looking into this card and the thought occurred since I know this card is being eliminated and being replaced by a new unified card for both AA and UsAiway I thought it would be interesting to see if there would be any new benefits, and for the most part it seems to be carryover with the only difference being the spend requirement to get the companion ticket.

New Product Link:

http://barclays.adobedigital.com/barclays/AviatorSilver.html

This is the current UsAirway T & C so I guess maybe its just a promo deal only.

Companion Certificate The Primary Cardmember is eligible to receive one Companion Certificate redeemable for up to two companion tickets ($99 each, plus taxes and fees).  The Companion Certificate is valid for travel by December 31, 2015 and tickets must be purchased by September 30, 2015.  The Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip coach class travel when the Primary Cardmember purchases a qualifying ticket (minimum fare purchase of $250 required). Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 United States or Canada. Additional taxes, fees and charges including (PFCs), Federal Excise Taxes, Canadian VAT/GST and customs/immigration charges as well as the September 11 Security Fee apply to all tickets purchased and are not included in the base fare.  Other Companion Certificate restrictions apply including advance purchase requirements and black-out dates and will be provided on the actual certificate.  The Companion Certificate is only valid on US Airways marketed and operated flights

Message 33 of 42
onstar
Established Contributor

@joedtx wrote:

Ok let me clarify I was looking into this card and the thought occurred since I know this card is being eliminated and being replaced by a new unified card for both AA and UsAiway I thought it would be interesting to see if there would be any new benefits, and for the most part it seems to be carryover with the only difference being the spend requirement to get the companion ticket.

New Product Link:

Companion Certificate The Primary Cardmember is eligible to receive one Companion Certificate redeemable for up to two companion tickets ($99 each, plus taxes and fees).  The Companion Certificate is valid for travel by December 31, 2015 and tickets must be purchased by September 30, 2015.  The Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip coach class travel when the Primary Cardmember purchases a qualifying ticket (minimum fare purchase of $250 required). Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 United States or Canada. Additional taxes, fees and charges including (PFCs), Federal Excise Taxes, Canadian VAT/GST and customs/immigration charges as well as the September 11 Security Fee apply to all tickets purchased and are not included in the base fare.  Other Companion Certificate restrictions apply including advance purchase requirements and black-out dates and will be provided on the actual certificate.  The Companion Certificate is only valid on US Airways marketed and operated flights

After the merger, the USAirways card will convert to the AAdvantage Aviator ______ card. It could be the plain Aviator, Blue, Red, or Silver. I think the "regular" USAir card will become the Aviator Red card. When this happens, the annual $99 companion will no longer be issued automatically. Instead, you will get a $100 flight discount if you spend $30K the previous year for the Red; you will get the $99 companion ticket if you spend $30K the previous year for the Silver. You may be able to convert the USAir to to the Aviator Silver (upgrade), Aviator Blue (downgrade), or Aviator (downgrade). See details about each card here:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/barclays-merger.jsp

Since the $99 companion ticket will no longer be automatic when the USAir card converts to AAdvantage card, think of the $99 companion ticket as a one-time sign up bonus for the USAir card.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 34 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@onstar wrote:

@joedtx wrote:

New Product Link:

After the merger, the USAirways card will convert to the AAdvantage Aviator ______ card. It could be the plain Aviator, Blue, Red, or Silver. I think the "regular" USAir card will become the Aviator Red card. When this happens, the annual $99 companion will no longer be issued automatically. Instead, you will get a $100 flight discount if you spend $30K the previous year for the Red; you will get the $99 companion ticket if you spend $30K the previous year for the Silver. You may be able to convert the USAir to to the Aviator Silver (upgrade), Aviator Blue (downgrade), or Aviator (downgrade). See details about each card here:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/barclays-merger.jsp

Since the $99 companion ticket will no longer be automatic when the USAir card converts to AAdvantage card, think of the $99 companion ticket as a one-time sign up bonus for the USAir card.

Have they figured out how yo will be able to redeem your USAir companion certificate after the merger is complete?  Is it going to be good for AA flights prior to the expiration?.  If certificate redemption has to be done by 9/15 this is going to be after the merger is finalized so I can foresee problems.

Message 35 of 42
onstar
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Have they figured out how yo will be able to redeem your USAir companion certificate after the merger is complete?  Is it going to be good for AA flights prior to the expiration?.  If certificate redemption has to be done by 9/15 this is going to be after the merger is finalized so I can foresee problems.

Since USAir will continue to operate separately for a while even after the merger of the frequent flier program, there should be no issues redeeming the USAir companion ticket. Same phone number on the certificate, and probably just USAir-operated flights. The ticketing system will also be separate for a while, so I doubt you can use the companion ticket on AA flights.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 36 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

one thing I'm excited about new AA card is that card holders will have group 1 boarding, while u.s airways will have group 2. Smiley LOL

but I wonder, do I have to purchase with AA card to have boarding group 1? or just because i have AAdvantage card number, I can just get on boarding group 1?

Message 37 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

one thing I'm excited about new AA card is that card holders will have group 1 boarding, while u.s airways will have group 2. Smiley LOL

but I wonder, do I have to purchase with AA card to have boarding group 1? or just because i have AAdvantage card number, I can just get on boarding group 1?

I wonder that also. However I would assume that it's applied when purchased with the credit card. But maybe not.

Message 38 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I wonder that also. However I would assume that it's applied when purchased with the credit card. But maybe not.

i'm sick of pre-boarding group and group 1 always taking ALL THE OVER HEAD BIN SPACES! last month when I flew to chicago, entire overhead bins were filled halfway through the boarding group 1. Smiley Mad

Message 39 of 42
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

i'm sick of pre-boarding group and group 1 always taking ALL THE OVER HEAD BIN SPACES! last month when I flew to chicago, entire overhead bins were filled halfway through the boarding group 1. Smiley Mad

Same here I realized it wasn't the carry on luggage but the huge coats and winter gear that took up the space.

Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.