Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AA massive shutdown

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AA massive shutdown

Apparent started with people got caught abusing mailer offers for sub. Now the 2nd wave shut down went beyond mailers. Details are still unclear, there is a private reddit sub apparently gathered large number of affected people.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Re: AA massive shutdown

Wow. I'm reading what these folks were doing, and it amazes me how they normalized brazen fraud. No sympathy.

"The people getting closed are those who were opening new AAdvantage accounts under fake names to generate targeted offers that didn’t have 48 month bonus language, and then most often using those offers for themselves under their ‘real’ accounts. Lots of accounts being opened in pets names, for instance. Fake accounts, using targeted links intended for a different AAdvantage account, seems to be mostly what’s going on."

Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is definitely one of those “ play stupid games, win stupid prizes”. If people want to try to game the system this hard they deserve what they get IMHO.
Message 3 of 32
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

DoC touched on it this AM as well. They knew this was coming. 

Message 4 of 32
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
This is definitely one of those “ play stupid games, win stupid prizes”. If people want to try to game the system this hard they deserve what they get IMHO.

Agreed. People who purposely abuse the system deserve to get shut down.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 32
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Main thing. It will be passed unto us honest folks. So we all will have to pay for it from a bunch of morons. It may not apply to me personally because I dont have those cards yet. But future SUB's will probably be a lot harder to get.

Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Main thing. It will be passed unto us honest folks. So we all will have to pay for it from a bunch of morons.

Yep. 

As subs cost the lenders more and more from their bottom line, we will see more focus on weeding out the idiots.  When weeding them out becomes too labor intensive, we will see sub structures change. This is an industry wide issue. 

Side note - granted, we are only a handful of posts into this thread,  but so far the tone is quite different than when AMEX recently went on a similar purge of abusers. My opinion was the same with this as it was then, game the system and you lose. There were a lot of posters that took AMEX to task for their actions though...

Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well you haven't heard from me yet, Smiley Very Happy.

Sure, creating an AA account using tricks and in your pets name is just too abusive (not saying this is the only cause, or it is even related to these shutdowns, nobody has concrete info). But how can AA/Citi allow this? don't they check SSN or ITN?

Truth is, if there is a loophole, someone will abuse it. They really need to take a look at their systems and rewrote the code so these abuse prevention are either stated in T&C, or coded into application process.

Message 8 of 32
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I just hate hearing people complain after they abuse loopholes and then get shut down for it. You're an adult. You take the risk knowing you are breaking the terms and conditions. You accept the consequences if/when the company decides to enforce the terms.

Message 9 of 32
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I guess that's why I couldn't get an retention offer on my AA Platinum Select yesterday when I called. Annual fee hit a couple of weeks ago. I thought for sure with Citi cutting all of their benefits that they'd be willing to toss something for one to keep the card. Nope...nothing offered. Asked if I wanted to downgrade to the AA MilesUp card to which I replied, Nope.

PC'd that bad boy into a second Double Cash. Peace out AA Platinum Select. Not paying $99 for a card that lacks even the most basic features that one can get on a CapOne QS1.
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.