cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AA vs. US Airways... I'm confused, Are they not merged now?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

AA vs. US Airways... I'm confused, Are they not merged now?

BUT AA is still backed by Citi and US Airways is backed by Barclay.

My partner was denied Citi AA Business Today but they pulled EX which has teken pretty much all his INQ.  I have been searching for Barlcay Cards, this could be good... wish they had business.  But really my question is how do they work for merging between each other when traveling?  AA still seems to have much higher levels with what I see but I'm not sure we were looking to turn it into our #1 card to be able to push anything close to that through it and then I don't think just because a new flight goes direct for family it will turn us into some high medalian level so maybe this Barclay is better but still not business like I wanted.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: AA vs. US Airways... I'm confused, Are they not merged now?

Not merged yet - but I believe bankruptcy judge approved merger. Eventually they will complete merge and THEN the FF programs will integrate. Yes, the US AIr will be absorbed into the AA. No devaluation predicted so US Air miles same value as AA in future we hope. 

The big question is will Barclays lose the card and will Citi gain all the US Airways customers. It seems unlikely that two banks will service AA with cards and programs. I grabbed a Barclays US Air card just for the bonus and eventual transfer to AA. I agree, they lack a business version as I would have opted for that one too. 

Message 2 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

So AA declined for the new accounts and INQ.

His TU has 2 INQ but the same 4 new accounts... Think he would have any issue with Barclay?  Should he wait until Monday for better chance of instant or to be able to instant recon or is any difference on weekend with computer, but have to wait until Monday if issues?

Message 3 of 10
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

I would not be able to answer that with much authority as the only bank that dislikes me more than Citi is Barclays.

I got the US Air card with Barclays but minimum credit limit of $2,000 and low bonus. Tried to recon and no budge. They were not comfortable based on a combination of new accounts and existing accounts - even though they complimented me on low UTL, great score and high limits with all other banks. That recon cost me a second HP. My wife will be applying for the card soon just so we can pool some pre merger miles but not holding out hope for her to get good offer either. 

Citi AA card attempt was a disaster. I applied for and got instant approval for Citi Hilton card (to bolster my points - a churn) and then applied for AA card. Denied for too many applications with Citi in 24 hours. Called to find that out and was told wait 24 more hours plus a few then reapply. Did and was denied due to too many applications with Citi in 30 days. Called and told to wait 30 days then reapply. I chose to write recon letter and almost 3 weeks later not a peep from letter. 

Monday might be better option as no recon on weekends it seems. If not instant call before they try to issue card with low limit and low bonus, seems they like the bait and switch trick. 

Message 4 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

I would not be able to answer that with much authority as the only bank that dislikes me more than Citi is Barclays.

I got the US Air card with Barclays but minimum credit limit of $2,000 and low bonus. Tried to recon and no budge. They were not comfortable based on a combination of new accounts and existing accounts - even though they complimented me on low UTL, great score and high limits with all other banks. That recon cost me a second HP. My wife will be applying for the card soon just so we can pool some pre merger miles but not holding out hope for her to get good offer either. 

Citi AA card attempt was a disaster. I applied for and got instant approval for Citi Hilton card (to bolster my points - a churn) and then applied for AA card. Denied for too many applications with Citi in 24 hours. Called to find that out and was told wait 24 more hours plus a few then reapply. Did and was denied due to too many applications with Citi in 30 days. Called and told to wait 30 days then reapply. I chose to write recon letter and almost 3 weeks later not a peep from letter. 

Monday might be better option as no recon on weekends it seems. If not instant call before they try to issue card with low limit and low bonus, seems they like the bait and switch trick. 

The AA lady yesterday seemed nice but when I questioned anything she said then she went on this rant that I wasn't asking her direct questions and that I then was not allowing her to fully answer my questions.

I said you said to many INQ and to many new accounts and I asked if that means I should wait 6 months to reapply after the first time she said no specific time after denial.

She said I did not say you had to many INQ or to many new accounts for applying again in a specific time.

I was like that's the problem, for some reason you have somewhat direct answers when dealing with denial - To many INQ

But then when asking well how many within 6 months is to many - then it varies. (USbank actually said 6 months since multiple new accounts so they could review how you are doing with those lines... that was direct and one of the better answers I have heard)

so then they and she did also try to change it like she is going to teach me how a credit report works and the changes and blah blah... so by this time, we are NEVER going to see eye to eye because in the end she is saying declined and she is not going to take credit school from me... I was like you could pull the credit report again right now and it might be different but WONT change how many INQ or new accounts are on it... or at least any fewer, so I don't know why you can't tell me how many months Citi wants to see these new accounts age before considering a credit card.

In end I will wait for letter and try one more time but I'm not thinking it will change, they just don't seem to have any wiggle room... It's very consistently easy to get multiple Citi cards but much easier to do them all at once usually, but then you had a different action, so it's kind of like **bleep**... I know the banks are trying to lend and still trying to not have a lot of the back way things of 2006ish credit approvals but it's like someone who has had credit issues in the past and has lots of apps seems to slip by the system for more new apps or overlooked because it's normal in that "Bucket" but then someone like my partner who is in that normal "sweet" area of 740-800 who has high limits and low util all of a sudden has a few new accounts and it's like lock down.  I got more accounts with little issue with a 650 and he has been declined for 2 cards with 720 if not 740+ (will update on denial letter)... I mean it's irritating because it goes agianst how it's always worked for me, so im trying to adjust and trying to explain why spacing out things has now made it WAY WORSE!

Think Barclay might be last attempt and then just sit for the Amex 62 day CLI, then a Business Card with them, then maybe a couple Navy since they seem to not care... then sit for 6 months or more really... don't need anything but just wanted to pick them all up now so could move to garden for 12+ months with need for nothing nothing nothing! LOL

Message 5 of 10
Open123
Super Contributor

If TU is under 3 or 4 inquiries and not too many accounts within 3 months, Barclay will likely be an instant approval.

Regarding the merger, the Barclay US Air cards have become more valuable because two very valuable redemptions will be going away once the US miles are integrated into AA miles--90K business class to SE Asia and 100K business class to Aus.  Both of these costs more in miles to redeem under AA, which will lead to a instant devaluation.

This is the main reason why Barclay's US Air's bonus has been reduced to 30K while no longer waiving the $89 bonus.  They've also gotten rid of the 10K annual mile bonus which posts before the annual fee hits, thereby allowing you to cancel it.  Many have gotten this card multiple times during the "churn" phase when there was no annual fee, 40K miles on first purchase and 10K annual bonus.

The miles program will be AA period.  There is still questions regarding who will handle the US Air cards.  It could turn out where Barclay still maintains their current US Air holders issued new AA cards, while not being able to offer new ones.  Or, Citi can just take over, such as Cap One has with their subprime HSBC purchase.

Message 6 of 10
hemi961
Regular Contributor

There are still landing pages with applications for the US Airways business card, he could apply for one. I haven't tried to apply but the application is still there, so I assume they are still available.

Message 7 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@hemi961 wrote:

There are still landing pages with applications for the US Airways business card, he could apply for one. I haven't tried to apply but the application is still there, so I assume they are still available.

OMG, So excited for the APP still being on site... but looks like the online processing (Like underwriting) is closed and off on weekend.... Like instant to "We need time to prcoess, 10 days.... blah blah..." I called and said Monday-Friday - Leave message or call back.... I will update Monday Morning! Smiley Happy

PLEASE APPROVE AND BIG!!! LOL

Message 8 of 10
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

There is much speculation on this, but most seem to think that Citi will be the main issuer of AA cards in the future and they will use AA's program. At that point US Dividend Miles will cease to exist. Whether or not current Barclay's cardholders will be "grand-fathered in" or not is unknown.

There are still more steps to go through before their loyalty programs are merged. If you watched the UA/CO, the merger finished first and then the loyalty programs became merged several months later. In the interim both UA and CO miles could be combined, and there was receprocity with regards to elite benefits on both airlines.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 9 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

There is much speculation on this, but most seem to think that Citi will be the main issuer of AA cards in the future and they will use AA's program. At that point US Dividend Miles will cease to exist. Whether or not current Barclay's cardholders will be "grand-fathered in" or not is unknown.

There are still more steps to go through before their loyalty programs are merged. If you watched the UA/CO, the merger finished first and then the loyalty programs became merged several months later. In the interim both UA and CO miles could be combined, and there was receprocity with regards to elite benefits on both airlines.

Yeah, I think it's been rare for credit cards to be closed and not moved or at least offered a different card within the bank, especially larger bigger banks.

NextCard flat out closed most and a few rare got offers for another bank to take over

Advanta flat out closed

Circuit City I think was the first card in a long time in the what I would consider "Prime" market in a while that I saw some close, some transfer, some have upgrades in a long time.  Others I have known of have always just merged to a new bank or a new card branded within the same bank... If we end up with an approval tomorrow, I hope we don't end up with a Barclay general card down the road, I need to merger to AA but with such a big merger and large bank, I would be shocked if USair and AA would risk loosing customers over a credit card merger...

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.