cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AARP credit card from Chase - no longer available?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: AARP credit card from Chase - no longer available?

@gdale6 wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

Interesting.  I've been considering reallocating my CL from my AARP to my Disney Visa and Amazon Visa and closing.   But maybe I'll just reallocate and leave it alone, just in case someone did indeed buy the portfolio.

I just moved 4K from my AARP to Freedom just in case they sell this and if they are not taking new apps its highly likely. I really hope its not Comenity who gets it, they have minimum redemptions, if they do I would most likely just terminate the card. I do have others that cover that 3% on gas and restaurants (Alt Go for 4% and can choose one of my BoA Cash Rewards for 3%)

I followed your lead and transferred some of my limit to my 2 other Chase cards. Surprisingly fast customer service Smiley Happy I just think Chase is a higher quality outfit than any outfit to which this card is likely to be transferred.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 11 of 21
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I followed your lead and transferred some of my limit to my 2 other Chase cards. Surprisingly fast customer service Smiley Happy I just think Chase is a higher quality outfit than any outfit to which this card is likely to be transferred.

That's a good point.  I also think it's highly likely that the CL would grow more easily with another lender.  

Last night, I sent an SM to move $5K over to my Disney Visa, and it was taken care of by the time I checked this morning.  I think I'll do another $5K over to Amazon and just leave $800 on the AARP.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 12 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@brother7 wrote:

It looks like existing account holders can still log in to their accounts online but I cannot find any link for applicants to apply for the AARP credit card from Chase. Did this card get discontinued? Does AARP plan to partner with another credit card company? Or will the AARP credit card get discontinued completely?

Sad to learn that Barclays is getting the card.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/banking-law/barclays-agrees-to-buy-aarp-credit-card-portfolio-from-jpm...

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201022006085/en/Barclays-Enters-Multi-Year-Relationship-Agr...

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 13 of 21
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

AARP has signed a deal for Barclays to administer the AARP credit card from this point forward.

Chase has sold its portfolio of AARP cards to Barclays.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

AARP has signed a deal for Barclays to administer the AARP credit card from this point forward.

As if getting old were not terrible enough already.

Message 15 of 21
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous 

😂😂😂😂😂

And I thought I was done with Barclays several years ago.😳

Message 16 of 21
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/banking-law/barclays-agrees-to-buy-aarp-credit-card-portfolio-from-jpm...

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201022006085/en/Barclays-Enters-Multi-Year-Relationship-Agr...

Or maybe Barclay will finally have a decent cash back card again.

This works out fine for me.  I currently have an SDed Uber Visa.  My plan would be to reallocate my CL from that card to the AARP card and close it out finally.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 17 of 21
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

My Mother has this card.  I'm tempted to have her close it out immediately, but she only has 4 open tradelines.  Rather than make a rash decision, I will wait to see the new offerings from Barclays.

April 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 12 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 0/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 18 of 21
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

You got thaat right!!!

Message 19 of 21
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@brother7 wrote:

It looks like existing account holders can still log in to their accounts online but I cannot find any link for applicants to apply for the AARP credit card from Chase. Did this card get discontinued? Does AARP plan to partner with another credit card company? Or will the AARP credit card get discontinued completely?

No thanks, not interested in anything from Barclays, will be terminating once they take it. Going to move the rest of its CL to my Freedom and leave it at the required 500

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.