cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAdvantage Aviator Silver MasterCard.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AAdvantage Aviator Silver MasterCard.

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@torebuild2014 wrote:

I am so happy to see this post because I have wanted someone to help me with decicding if this is a good offer, so but did not enroll yet.

The way I interpret this bonus is the offer basically has you "purchasing" your miles for a discounted rate. When I compared them to how much it cost to purchase miles on American Airline site, it really did not save much. This was different than a spend bonus to me. Also, would this prevent other promotional bonus miles from being offer since this is a pilot, because I have normally received spend bonuses during the 4th quarter around the holidays on this card.

Thoughts???

I don't think 2 cents per mile is a discounted rate.  Award flight redemptions usually come out being less than that.

Honestly, I see the bank/airline coming out on top with this deal.

Yeah I don't see the point of this other than giving Barclay money.  I would say American Airline miles are probably worth less than 1.5 cents a mile.  I am guessing with the merger with US airlines has really cost Barclay business in the Airline space.  They probably bought so many miles that they can't get rid of so they are using creative ways to get rid of them. 

Message 11 of 18
torebuild2014
Regular Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@torebuild2014 wrote:

I am so happy to see this post because I have wanted someone to help me with decicding if this is a good offer, so but did not enroll yet.

The way I interpret this bonus is the offer basically has you "purchasing" your miles for a discounted rate. When I compared them to how much it cost to purchase miles on American Airline site, it really did not save much. This was different than a spend bonus to me. Also, would this prevent other promotional bonus miles from being offer since this is a pilot, because I have normally received spend bonuses during the 4th quarter around the holidays on this card.

Thoughts???

I don't think 2 cents per mile is a discounted rate.  Award flight redemptions usually come out being less than that.

I am calculating the discount based on what it would cost to actually purchase miles. (i.e) from the website to purchase 4000 miles= $118. Under their program, $100 = 5000. This is why I was not sure that I wanted to enroll, because you are actually purchasing additional miles just like going on the web and purchasing, just through the program.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@torebuild2014 wrote:

Thoughts???

Yeah I don't see the point of this other than giving Barclay money.  I would say American Airline miles are probably worth less than 1.5 cents a mile.  I am guessing with the merger with US airlines has really cost Barclay business in the Airline space.  They probably bought so many miles that they can't get rid of so they are using creative ways to get rid of them. 

maybe AA miles are only worth 1.5 cents to you but they are certainly worth a lot more than that to me.  You make a lot of generalizations and not everything is the same to others.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fyi.....I received a mailer today about this offer. A few things to note:

1. The mailer has the same example of the cup of coffee, but instead of 45+3=48 miles, it is 90+3=93 miles. For what would essentially be a $4 purchase, that's a good return on miles per dollar spent. 

2. This pilot is invitation only as of now, but after partication feedback at the end of the pilot, they hope to roll out to all members. 

Message 14 of 18
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@Justagirl73 wrote:

Fyi.....I received a mailer today about this offer. A few things to note:

1. The mailer has the same example of the cup of coffee, but instead of 45+3=48 miles, it is 90+3=93 miles. For what would essentially be a $4 purchase, that's a good return on miles per dollar spent. 

2. This pilot is invitation only as of now, but after partication feedback at the end of the pilot, they hope to roll out to all members. 

Some more info

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/flight-cents-turn-spare-change-american-airline-miles-barclaycard-1¢-...

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Saleen! 

I dont use this card as a daily, but I always use it to book travel when flying AA and I always take it abroad to use. It will definitely get more usage starting Oct 1st. I'm going to change my threshold as well Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@torebuild2014 wrote:

Thoughts???

maybe AA miles are only worth 1.5 cents to you but they are certainly worth a lot more than that to me.  You make a lot of generalizations and not everything is the same to others.

I am just using average value of the miles. For instance I was just checking out flights from PHL to Dublin and round trip 60k miles pulse taxes or you can pay 710 dollars in cash.  Other days of the week for same flight you will be getting less than 1 cent a mile. Looked at a lot of flights and make a generalization of their value.  If you want to use best case scenarios that is great but I prefer to use average value.   I wish I could sell you mine if you value them so highly.  I actually have 30k miles that expired 4 years ago and debating whether they are worth the penny a point to get them back.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a quick update: My cents for Oct equaled 2.38 so I received 238 additional miles. This not include the purchase miles I received. 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.