Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA Strategy?

tag
saving_grace16
New Contributor

AAoA Strategy?

So I've been doing a bit of organization of with my credit lately since my FICO scores are finally in a great place.  I started by doing SP CLIs this week, with success on 3 cards (also with PCs to better rewards for all of them)!  Anyway, I've also closed several retail cards that I no longer use.  However, I have two retail cards that are still open - these 2 cards are my 2nd and 3rd oldest cards.  My question is - how will this affect my AAoA?  Or does it not really matter?  I really would like to close them as I won't really ever use them again, especially since I can get better rewards using the other cards that I have rather than these retail cards.  

Please let me know your thoughts! 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AAoA Strategy?

They will still be on your credit report for 10 years, so it will just fall off 10 years from now but you'll probably still have accounts that are active from now, so it shouldn't hurt too much then.
Message 2 of 9
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

@saving_grace16 wrote:

So I've been doing a bit of organization of with my credit lately since my FICO scores are finally in a great place.  I started by doing SP CLIs this week, with success on 3 cards (also with PCs to better rewards for all of them)!  Anyway, I've also closed several retail cards that I no longer use.  However, I have two retail cards that are still open - these 2 cards are my 2nd and 3rd oldest cards.  My question is - how will this affect my AAoA?  Or does it not really matter?  I really would like to close them as I won't really ever use them again, especially since I can get better rewards using the other cards that I have rather than these retail cards.  

I was trying to plan out a strategy for this too. since i am 21 i figured it would be best to get the accounts that i wnat for the rest of my lift setup now and my AAoA would be very long. But Im trying to ballance it with HPs 

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Future Cards Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+, Freedom
Goal increase CLs by 20k in 2015
Message 3 of 9
user5387
Valued Contributor

Closed accounts stay on your report for a period of years.

When they drop off, you will lose the accumulated account age, and the effect on AAoA will depend on how many accounts you have then.

Message 4 of 9
Crisis
Established Contributor

Thanks for this question... I'm trying to get things along this line in order as well.

In the garden until debt is paid off and scores are up!
Message 5 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@saving_grace16 wrote:

Get your AmEx MSD established.

Message 6 of 9
saving_grace16
New Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@saving_grace16 wrote:

Get your AmEx MSD established.

AmEx MSD?

Message 7 of 9
VinnyofLegend
Contributor

MSD = "Member Since" Date.

New Amex accounts are based on the year of your first Amex card Member Since Date. This helps AAoA if you favor Amex cards over others.

Message 8 of 9
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

He is suggesting that you app for an amex to establish your Member Since Date--the year that all future Amex cards will be backdated to.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.