cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AGhhh. DCU reported a balance of $1500 on my CC when in fact it is $0.

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AGhhh. DCU reported a balance of $1500 on my CC when in fact it is $0.

@KLEXH25 wrote:
My DCU visa doesn’t report on the statement date. It has always reported at the end of the month. It really messed with my planning until I realized this. I assume this is the case with you as well, which means your payment came a day too late. Doesn’t help that DCU has been all over the place with their reporting, but my last reported balance currently seems to be 08/31/19.

This is exactly what I wanted to post: ALL DCU accounts, just like a few other lenders (not many), report end of month balance rather than statement date.

Haven't really been tracking DCU much because everything is flat $0 for me there, I'll pay more attention if I actually do use the HELOC to refinance my CC debt once it comes out of grace period, have to see where this mortgage process is going and how much cash is needed when vs. unwinding positions.  Blah, finances on tight timelines without planning.

I suspect that anyone who thinks the various idiosyncracies I've seen with DCU to be equivalent with how bad Sync has been over the years at least historically, well, they may not have been around long enough Smiley Happy.  

Then again I closed my Wally card with conviction after deciding to kick Sync to the curb so any improvements I don't know.

        
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah DCU's reporting can take a bit to get used to, especially if you don't use their services often. I did a BT last month of $500 on my $1K card and just barely squeaked a $25 payment in before they reported the card at 50% instead of 47.5%. 

The fact you can't change your due date with them is a bit obnoxious too, especially for people like me who get paid on the 3rd and have DCU due on the 6th. You can't schedule a payment from an external FI, you have to set it up as a transfer, and that means you can't have your payment post the same day because they force you to set it two days out. Not a big deal to work around if you schedule it in advance but if you aren't aware of that quirk, you can end up being late. 

Message 12 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah DCU's reporting can take a bit to get used to, especially if you don't use their services often. I did a BT last month of $500 on my $1K card and just barely squeaked a $25 payment in before they reported the card at 50% instead of 47.5%. 

The fact you can't change your due date with them is a bit obnoxious too, especially for people like me who get paid on the 3rd and have DCU due on the 6th. You can't schedule a payment from an external FI, you have to set it up as a transfer, and that means you can't have your payment post the same day because they force you to set it two days out. Not a big deal to work around if you schedule it in advance but if you aren't aware of that quirk, you can end up being late. 

That is actually not correct.  I've paid DCU accounts (auto loan, HELOC) both by remote ACH and by wire transfer (when I got free access to those).

It's is awkward to setup with how they do their account numbering but it can be done... for all that it took me way longer to do that than it should both times haha.

        
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is actually not correct.  I've paid DCU accounts (auto loan, HELOC) both by remote ACH and by wire transfer (when I got free access to those).

It's is awkward to setup with how they do their account numbering but it can be done... for all that it took me way longer to do that than it should both times haha.

Like I said immediately after, you have to schedule it as a transfer. The issue is that a transfer can't be marked same day like a payment can. It's scheduled based on when DCU expects to receive the funds - 2 days later - which means it's not credited as a same day payment. 

DCU supports full ACH pull, it's just not credited same day like any normal credit card payment would be from the payment center. 

Message 14 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I just don't see that as a problem: if it is a true issue use a wire transfer but ultimately just don't use it as your balance card when you need to get pretty and go.

DCU is flatly useful as a lender, their HELOC might actually be the best in the market or awfully close if not.  Auto loans good too, rest of their products I don't use much though they do have some useful balance transfer offers every so often and since this recent experience has shown me that having debt shuffling (or refinance in NFCU's case) tradelines are useful, going to pick up a pair once the mortgage closes.

It's a fool's errand to try to get every single thing from a given lender, Chase and their mortgage rates (and confusion) proved that concretely to me and I have CPC status there.  On the flip side the builder of the home clearly has a relationship with BOFA who I dumped nearly a decade ago, and assuming everything that has been told to me is accurate it is going to be an insanely good mortgage... just I have doubts it's quite right haha.

Moral of this essay is don't expect perfection and use lenders for what they are good for, and don't hold grudges either.  Things change sometimes for the better.

        
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't say it was a **bleep**ing problem, it's just information sharing to add to the thread - DCU does things differently and people should be aware of those differences. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Every CU has quirks but it's important for people to be aware of those quirks so they don't get bit in the ass by them. 

Message 16 of 23
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I sense a bit of tension?  So, let's cool our jets?   

The rest of the thread, including the OP, have been posted in a cool and collected manner.  Let's keep it that way. 

Message 17 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Fair point, I didn't mean to start an argument other than to state you can push payments from a different FI to DCU rather than going through their CashEdge ACH feature which always thought was kludgy personally.

Anyway my apologies for misinterpreting some of the statements made; they do have annoying quirks (which to be fair so do I), but I would absolutely put them in my plan if I were doing this all over again.

        
Message 18 of 23
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Fair point, I didn't mean to start an argument other than to state you can push payments from a different FI to DCU rather than going through their CashEdge ACH feature which always thought was kludgy personally.

Anyway my apologies for misinterpreting some of the statements made; they do have annoying quirks (which to be fair so do I), but I would absolutely put them in my plan if I were doing this all over again.

LOLOL @Revelate .  Where is my Rev, and what have yall done with him! !! LOL Smiley Happy 

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

It admittedly took me some exploring to figure out how to even make a payment from an external account in the app. If you go to the account itself and hit the transfers button at the top > make payment to DCU VISA, it only shows DCU accounts. 

In order to pay from an external account, you have to use the payment center, add and confirm your account (which includes logging in to said account through DCU), then you schedule the payment. It's a bit of a hassle but as long as you set it up in advance and you schedule your payment before it is due, it's not too bad. 

One thing I like about DCU that irks me with NFCU is that you can do a transfer from an external account via ACH to your DCU deposit accounts. NFCU doesn't allow ACH pull to their accounts, only to pay their loans, so you either have to use ACH push, Zelle, or deposit a check from the other bank to move funds to your NFCU accounts. 

I like DCU overall, they just do things differently with reporting the balance at the end of the month, only two credit card due dates that are randomly assigned when you open the account, and some payment gymnastics. There are many CUs that don't let you pay from an external FI at all so at least DCU gives the option and once you do it a few times it's easy to remember how it works. 

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.