Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALLIANT Credit Union

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ALLIANT Credit Union

Good Evening board, I just signed up with ALLIANT Credit Union through my employer.  I am preparing for an Auto loan,  I noticed they offer a 0% Platinum card for 12 months on ballance transfers with a "Generous" credit line.  Anyone have experience with them?  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
yapsalot
Regular Contributor

Re: ALLIANT Credit Union

I started with them in early 2016. They are relatively tight with starting credit limits. They don't actually run their credit card program: apparently they sub-contract it out to some other company which can make for some frustration. The credit union is in Chicago and the credit card operation is in South Dakota and they have separate telephone numbers. Inquiries about the card to the credit card telephone number are often bounced between the Alliant itself and its subcontractor with both claiming that the other should handle the matter. Their online and telephone access is hampered by over-zealous security. I use the same two computers for online access and at least once a week one or both of my computers are not recognized, requiring answering security questions and awaiting an email to reactivate access. Mobile access is OK but if you don't access via mobile for 30 days you have to go through the security steps to regain access and do a confirming email. For new credit accounts they asked me to email my electric bill and drivers license to verify residence and I've seen other posters who have had the same experience. For telephone access, once you do get to a person, you have to answer 3 security questions every single time you call. Their telephone system has serious problems. It recognizes voice commands (but not very well) and keypad entries. Every time I have entered my member number on the key pad, the system says something to the effect that I have to change my PIN, which makes no sense. So I just keep saying "representative" till it bypasses the PIN number change function and ultimately after 2-3 minutes hold time I get a general rep who will direct the call to the right department. After normal business hours and on weekends they do answer the phone but with very long hold times and with uninformed reps who are often wrong or admit they don't know and will leave an internal message for someone to call the next day. I have never received a call back when that happens. The signature visa has 3% cash back for the first year then 2.5% thereafter on all purchases with no limits. I have seen posters who mention that they received a letter claiming that the purchases were business purchases and to stop using the card for business purchases or they will close the account. If you request your cash back on the signature visa, do not ask for a statement credit because that takes about 2 months to get the credit. If you ask for a deposit to your savings or checking account, its fast, about 2 days till the deposit arrives. They use TransUnion only for new applications and credit line increases (at least for me in Florida). Credit line increases are limited to twice per year. Their interest rates on savings accounts and certificates of deposit are very high. They have mobile deposit of checks through scanned jpegs of the check with a $50,000 limit. So if your deposit is over $50,000 you have to mail the check to them and they have relatively long hold times of about 2 weeks on amounts over $5,000 on both mobile and mail deposits. You get same day or next day (can't recall which) on mobile check deposits up to $5,000. If you pay your credit card from a non-Alliant account you have to wait 10 days before your available credit reflects the payment. (Can't recall is its 10 calendar days or 10 business days, but its long, so only pay your credit card with an Alliant account. I had a fraudulent charge once they overnighted me a new card for a fee of $20 and they never removed the fraudulent charge. I did a bank wire from them once and it took several day till they sent the money. I had to fax the wire instructions (they don't accept wire instructions through the website or via email, only fax). Two days later I called to find out why the wire was not sent and they claimed they called me to verify it. But their was no voice mail or call history record reflecting any calls from them. It still took them one more day to actually send the wire.

Yapsalot
Message 2 of 5
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

You might want to break your post up a bit, very hard to follow and read......

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yikes, I am glad I didn’t go for their 2% card!

Message 4 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good Evening board, I just signed up with ALLIANT Credit Union through my employer.  I am preparing for an Auto loan,  I noticed they offer a 0% Platinum card for 12 months on ballance transfers with a "Generous" credit line.  Anyone have experience with them?  Thanks in advance.

The platinum card now has a balance transfer fee and a cash advance fee, and no rewards. And, in my case, it has a high interest rate. So it is a useless card.

Alliant's customer service is very stiff and impersonal.

They do offer a decent savings account rate.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.