Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX 3x CLI question

tag
Tim_S
Regular Contributor

AMEX 3x CLI question

I've had my Amex Blue Cash Preferred since July, 2016.  I started with a $5,000 credit limit and at 61 days I requested a 3x CLI to $15,000, which I was instantly approved.  It's been 7 months now since I got the card and I would like to request another 3x CLI.  I realize this would take me to $45,000 and I've heard anything over $25,000 will most likely trigger a 4506T (tax return transcript request).

Does anyone have any experience getting approved for $45,000 without getting a request for a 4506T?  My Experian FICO 8 is 746 and my spouse and I, (she's an authorized user on my account) have an annual household income of $260,000.  I'm not nervous about a 4506T request, I just don't want to have to go through the trouble.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX 3x CLI question

I started out with a BCE on 7/15 SL 8k curretly sitting at 28.5k with no income verification. ( 75k income )

Ive done alot of reading on the 3x CLI threads and what i have gathered is that if you request 45k and they ask you for income verification and you dont provide it nothing happens. I have read that you can actually back out and lower the amount you want until they give you a CLI.

So worst case scenario you get instantly declined or If they ask for the verification you can just ignore it. The last thing that they may also do is counter with a amount they feel comfortable with.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 12
accidentalpancake
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I started out with a BCE on 7/15 SL 8k curretly sitting at 28.5k with no income verification. ( 75k income )

Ive done alot of reading on the 3x CLI threads and what i have gathered is that if you request 45k and they ask you for income verification and you dont provide it nothing happens. I have read that you can actually back out and lower the amount you want until they give you a CLI.

So worst case scenario you get instantly declined or If they ask for the verification you can just ignore it. The last thing that they may also do is counter with a amount they feel comfortable with.  Good luck.

The worst case scenario is actually that they freeze or close all of your Amex accounts. That has been known to happen.

OP, it typically depends on your spending patterns and relationship with Amex. Having credit lines over $25k or sudden changes in credit usage/movement may trigger a review in their system, but not necessarily a request for verification.

Two examples:

I called to check on a credit limit transfer from my BCE to my Hilton card (which put me over $25k overall) this week, because it was approved but pending for several days. They said it went to the review department, but they approved it without additional verification due to my history and income level. 

Back when I first got my BCE in 2013, I was put under review after my first CLI. I had very little history with Amex, my income at the time, while still healthy, was light compared to all the recent spending we were doing after building our new house. They suspended my accounts until I sent the paperwork back and spoke with their review department. It was a fine process, and they weren't antagonistic at all, but it did take about a week to get it all cleared up.

High utilization comapared to income, though mostly on 0% promotions and paid via cash in a few months, raises their flag faster than anything from what I've seen.

FICO as of Feb 2017:
EQ 712 | 728 TU | 713 EX
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was under the impression the general limit for when they request verification is above $35,000.

I asked for $35,000 for my last CLI and they countered with $29,100 (the unevenness makes me feel gross). I accepted and they didn't require verification. YMMV obviously. 

Message 4 of 12
Tim_S
Regular Contributor

My utilization has always been low, (around 5%) and AMEX shows me as being a member since 1989, although I just recently re-opened AMEX after not having an AMEX for 25+ years.  

I typically run between $3,000-$5,000/month though AMEX and always PIF before the due date.

Message 5 of 12
Tim_S
Regular Contributor

So, I just read an interesting post elsewhere that says you must wait 6 months from your last CLI to request another CLI.  Is it 6 months from the time you opened your card or 6 months from your last CLI?

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tim_S wrote:

So, I just read an interesting post elsewhere that says you must wait 6 months from your last CLI to request another CLI.  Is it 6 months from the time you opened your card or 6 months from your last CLI?

181 days from the last user initiated CLI

Message 7 of 12
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Quit trying to scare the poor guy with an account freeze!  User initiated CLI's exceeding a particular threshold may request a 4506 for approving the CLI.  CLi requests 99.999% of the time go off w/o a hitch.  $45K with a 200K+ income should be a no brainer.  If there's an issue with proving income through the IRS process than don't do it.  If you're open to the process it's pretty simple these days.  Request the CLI, if prompted for 4506 then do it online,  fill it out online, docusign the form, hit submit, 3-5 business days later it shows up approved on your online account page.  In some instances it may come back approved for a slightly lower amount they're more comfortable with.  

I went from 10K --> 30K --> 50K with them easily... the 50K prompted the 4506.   

Now, if you want to avoid it yet grow then take a long breath between CLI's as they're less prone to ask for POI if you take it easy.  The longer you get to know each other the more relaxed AMEX gets.  There have been a few users here that have longer timeline accounts that have stepped up and over 50K w/o being asked for POI.  

Message 8 of 12
Rossdaniel87
Established Member

Are there any DPs of getting more than 3x?
I've opened three accounts since February; Green charge because 25k points, biz blue which will be used legitimately to separate expenses, and the personal SPG.
The green is NPSL and I did $1000~ the first month no problem, the business card was approved at 8k which I'll likely never come close to.
The SPG however which is gonna become my daily driver only got a $2,300 limit.
I'm gonna work it for 61-90 days and aim high with a $10k ask which is 4.3x
Personal:

Business:

Closed:too many to list
Message 9 of 12
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

I just got the BCP last summer. I recently generated a lot of spending on the card in the past 30 days. I got an email today saying that they automatically increased my limit by $4000. My original limit was $11k. I was just trying to purchase stuff within their introductory 0% offer that expires in June. Nice little surprise. I guess AMEX is pretty liberal with their CLIs. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.