Did you mean: 

AMEX 3x CLI???

tag
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX 3x CLI???

@WillTeasle wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

My card was at $25K, and I asked for a CLI (can't remember, maybe to $35K) and got my first 4506T request.  When I posted about it, I was told "Of course, EVERYONE knows that newbie!  Anything above 25K.... Why didn't you search..."   So it certainly was conventional wisdom!   Since then, a number of people have posted about going above $25K without incident so there is no fast and hard rule.

Amex gave me a CLI just to $28K, citing (correctly) that I was hardly using the existing credit line (true, maybe $2K per month) and the account was too new (9 months or so at that stage, backdated 26 years though).   Later I asked to increase it to $34K (to beat my Cap One $33K) and got immediate approval.  All of these were unneccesary, just for fun type CLI requests.

After combining limits, I just asked for a CLI on my Blue Cash (now at $42K). I'm pushing more and more (bad) spending through here, and even though alerts ceased after the first week, Amex seems to care about total spend compared to CL on this card, so I want this CLI for safety!  After a few days, I got another 4506T which I just faxed in.  We will see.

They gave me an auto CLI that put me well over the $25k "limit".  Never seen a 4506T from them though.

Auto CLI?? I didn't know AMEX did that. I thought it had to be requested......

In my wallet: AMEX BCE $18k | AMEX ED $19.5k | AMEX EDP $10k | AMEX BCEP $10k | HEFCU $10k | Discover it $8.8k | Capital One QS $9k | Chase Freedom $4.5k | Walmart $3,200 | JCrew $2,350 | Chase Slate (AU) $22k.
Now in the garden...
Current FICO Scores: 783 (EX) | 766 (EQ) | 764 (TU)
Message 31 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: AMEX 3x CLI???

Auto-CLIs were not covered in the conventional view, only consumer-initiated ones.  But there have been several reports of people being granted a CLI going from < t 25K to over $25K without being asked for a 4506T, and some reports of people being asked for 4506T at much lower levels.

Some presumably some more complex formula, with Amex deciding when they need income verification.

But as Lexie said, if:

A) The income shown on your last available tax returns isn't much less than you reported on your app  (Amex tells me the 2013 returns won't be availble to them till Aug)

B) You don't mind Amex seeing your tax transcript (and there are lots of valid reasons why you might not want them to)

then there is no harm in asking.  And even if you do have privacy concerns, you can ask and see if they do require a 4506-T and decide then.

Message 32 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.