cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX AMEX AAAAAAA M E X! PC PRG to PLAT offer!

tag
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

AMEX AMEX AAAAAAA M E X! PC PRG to PLAT offer!

So while checking my account like I normally do...I noticed an offer to upgrade my PRG to Platinum. I hopped on chat and asked why am I seeing a link to upgrade to the Platinum card and the rep. told me they're giving me the offer since I've been with them over a year and have excellent history with them. Coool! So I asked if I accept the offer can I still get the sign up and he said NO you don't get bonus when you PC (didn't know this). Now WHYYYYY on God's green earth would I want to PC and forfeit the sign up BONUS?? I'm not yet ready for that card anyway. When ready, I will APP and enjoy the bonus! 

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX AMEX AAAAAAA M E X! PC PRG to PLAT offer!

Most cards aren't going to give you a bonus for PC'ing.  Some give retention offers or random bonus spend offers - ymmv.

Message 2 of 16
elim
Senior Contributor

Incognito browser until you find the 100k... then close PRG.

I always have the upgrade link.

Message 3 of 16
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

@BMW didn't think it applies to charge cards.

@Elim, thanks but I'm not ready for that card and the hefty AF LOL

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Like many things credit related this is subjective, but unless you've got an account with a lot of age (or one that was backdated when that was still applicable) I can't think of many reasons to upgrade an Amex charge card via PC.

Last year before I was on here I got a Green card... I closed it a couple of months ago (just before the AF hit) and just this week opened a PRG.  I was only one month away from being able to PC my existing Green to a PRG, but I would have missed out on the new account bonus (I found an offer for 50k MR points).  In addition, the PRG AF is waived the first year, which they usually don't do for a PC.  (This last part doesn't apply to the Platinum - it usually has an AF from the first year.)

For me, it was worth the small AAoA hit to get the 50k MR points... there's no way I would have ever accepted an upgrade via PC and missed out on that!  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Also remember that when a lender gives you an offer of that type, it's not really because they like you or think you've done a great job (although poor performance probably would preclude getting the offer), they want you to move to a product that will be more profitable for them

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually just upgraded my PRG to a Platinum through an offer when I logged in. They offered 25k points to PC with no spend necessary. I figured why not because I already use my PRG a lot and I can take advantage of the extra perks of the Plat. Not the best offer in the world but still not bad either.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually just upgraded my PRG to a Platinum through an offer when I logged in. They offered 25k points to PC with no spend necessary. I figured why not because I already use my PRG a lot and I can take advantage of the extra perks of the Plat. Not the best offer in the world but still not bad either.

Except now you wont be able to get any of the 3X points for airline purchase or 2X points for gas, grocery and restaurant spend.  Nor will you ever be able to get any of the large bonus points like 100K MR points because that 25K counts now as the once in a lifetime bonus for the Platinum card.  The Platinum is a good card if you travel a lot but it's not a very good substitute for the PRG.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Except now you wont be able to get any of the 3X points for airline purchase or 2X points for gas, grocery and restaurant spend.  Nor will you ever be able to get any of the large bonus points like 100K MR points because that 25K counts now as the once in a lifetime bonus for the Platinum card.  The Platinum is a good card if you travel a lot but it's not a very good substitute for the PRG.

I'm aware of the points spending differences. Also I am not looking to apply for any cards currently and I confirmed they did not do any hard pull when I did the PC. As for the point differences I am aware of the huge bonuses but I have not been able to get any to appear for me besides the normal 40k. Also I agree it is not a substitute for the PRG. They are for different purposes but I have been traveling much more recently and can take advantage of the platinum perks. It is good of you to point out these differences though. 

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm aware of the points spending differences. Also I am not looking to apply for any cards currently and I confirmed they did not do any hard pull when I did the PC. As for the point differences I am aware of the huge bonuses but I have not been able to get any to appear for me besides the normal 40k. Also I agree it is not a substitute for the PRG. They are for different purposes but I have been traveling much more recently and can take advantage of the platinum perks. It is good of you to point out these differences though. 

If you're going to make use of the card then it will work out for you.  I just see others upgrading because they see some offer and have no use for the Platinum card.  I have the platinum and if you travel it can be a very valuable card.  Enjoy it.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.