Did you mean: 

AMEX APR Increase

tag
Trini88
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX APR Increase

@Adkins wrote:

@Trini88 wrote:

Yep my Apr went from 23.99 to 24.24 this month......don't get it....my credit score is higher and I don't owe them a penny 😑

Your APR increase is probably from the Fed raising interest rates 0.25%

Oh ok good to know.

Goal Cards:
Message 11 of 30
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

Citibank raised the APR on my Dividend card in November from 10.24% to 13.99%.  The preceding statement explained the increase this way:

"Your APR for Purchases and Citi Flex Plans are below the lowest APR(s) we offer on the same or similar accounts. As a result, we are increasing your APR(s)."

In other words:  Your rate is lower than everyone else's rates, so we are going to raise yours.

Fortunately, I always PIF so this has no financial impact on me.  Still, it's a bit irritating.

April 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 12 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 0/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 12 of 30
Gollum
Established Contributor

The Fed is (slowly, so far) increasing interest rates in an attempt to reduce 40 year highs in inflation.

I'm guessing American Express is proactively increasing interest rates for borrowers who were already seen as higher risk.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion April 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

As was mentioned up thread other lenders move rates like AX. Chase does this and I had US Bank along with Citi Bank adjust for the market (not Fed Rates). Note, the Fed rates certainly do trigger adjustments on cards with variable rates and most every one knows this?!

Message 14 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Cory88 wrote:

. They also stated that my APR was lower then other people's account with similar APR's. 

If they really said that,  you should sue for crimes against logic!

Message 15 of 30
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

Citibank raised the APR on my Dividend card in November from 10.24% to 13.99%.  The preceding statement explained the increase this way:

"Your APR for Purchases and Citi Flex Plans are below the lowest APR(s) we offer on the same or similar accounts. As a result, we are increasing your APR(s)."

In other words:  Your rate is lower than everyone else's rates, so we are going to raise yours.

Fortunately, I always PIF so this has no financial impact on me.  Still, it's a bit irritating.

I will have to see what Citi does with my account as my dividend card is like 7.45% opened in 2016, I don't know how it got that low.

Message 16 of 30
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@Cory88 wrote:

@NoHardLimits wrote:

I will have to see what Citi does with my account as my dividend card is like 7.45% opened in 2016, I don't know how it got that low.

My Dividend started its life in 2009 as a Forward.  IIRC, that product featured an APR that would automatically reduce after every 3 months of on-time payments.

April 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 12 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 0/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 17 of 30
Gollum
Established Contributor

I thought I remembered that I had a pretty low interest rate on my Blue Cash Everyday card, but when I checked, it's 13.24% (variable). That seems pretty high, but it's 1% lower than currently advertised/available:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card-application/apply/prospect/terms/blue-cash-ever...

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion April 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 18 of 30
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Gollum wrote:

I thought I remembered that I had a pretty low interest rate on my Blue Cash Everyday card, but when I checked, it's 13.24% (variable). That seems pretty high, but it's 1% lower than currently advertised/available:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card-application/apply/prospect/terms/blue-cash-ever...

For n Amex card 13% is pretty good. 

Message 19 of 30
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
As was mentioned up thread other lenders move rates like AX. Chase does this and I had Socks adjust for the market (not Fed Rates). Note, the Fed rates certainly do trigger adjustments on cards with variable rates and most every one knows this?!

Dinosaur,

What/who is "Socks?"

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.