Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX APR reduction & CL reallocation after approval

tag
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

AMEX APR reduction & CL reallocation after approval

After being approved for the Delta Platinum card on Feb 1st (last day of 70K mile bonus), I immediately contacted AMEX and asked for an APR reduction and CL reallocation.

Both approved.

APR dropped 3% and moved $21K from Delta Gold to Platinum. Closing Gold at end of month.

Data point for credit reallocation: CSR told me that effective Jan 2017, AMEX now requires $1,000 to be left on the card from which the limit is being moved. Used to only be a $500 requirement. FYI

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX APR reduction & CL reallocation after approval

Congrats! You certainly have a way with those CSR's....first you had phenomenal luck getting your Citi card's' APRs reduced...they won't budge on mine; and now Amex! 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lhcole77 wrote:

After being approved for the Delta Platinum card on Feb 1st (last day of 70K mile bonus), I immediately contacted AMEX and asked for an APR reduction and CL reallocation.

Both approved.

APR dropped 3% and moved $21K from Delta Gold to Platinum. Closing Gold at end of month.

Data point for credit reallocation: CSR told me that effective Jan 2017, AMEX now requires $1,000 to be left on the card from which the limit is being moved. Used to only be a $500 requirement. FYI

I just reallocated (as in 3 days ago) from my ED to my BCE and left $500 on it...that's so weird! I'll definitely keep an eye out for next time though, thanks for the heads up Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 7
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Thanks! Yeah, I've had some good luck for sure.

If I don't like the APR that I am approved at I just contact them and ask for it to be reduced. It's worked many times.

Message 4 of 7
Aarvard
Established Contributor

@lhcole77 wrote:

Both approved.

That's odd though. I thought one tradeline had to be at least 2 month old before you can reallocate the credit limit.

03/25/2015 TU 08 765, EX 08 747, EQ 08 757, EQ 04 754.
01/30/2016 TU 08 775, EX 08 752, EQ 08 744
Goal: 780+ across all models.
Message 5 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Delta Platinum's AF might mean a higher minimum CL to prevent people from playing 25% games like with R-C.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 7
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@Aarvard wrote:

That's odd though. I thought one tradeline had to be at least 2 month old before you can reallocate the credit limit.

Agreed. That's why I felt it important to post my experience.

This is the second time I have been able to do this prior to the 60 days.

But I also ran into a roadblock once when they did site the 60 day policy.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.