cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX AU Re-Added back to parent's account after BK. AMEX asking for ssn. Should I?

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX AU Re-Added back to parent's account after BK. AMEX asking for ssn. Should I?

@dds2be wrote:

my parents did a bk a few years back and amex was included in the bk, and i just opened a gold prg and added both my parents as an authorized user, and i also added my dad to my amex spg (as a test to see if it would be approved before apping for prg for them) and it was approved with no issues. so if amex allowed them to be AU and they burned amex in the past, then having a bk w/o amex should be absolutely no issue.

Did you add either of them with the SS# or without?

Message 11 of 17
dds2be
Valued Member

Re: AMEX AU Re-Added back to parent's account after BK. AMEX asking for ssn. Should I?

i added both of them with their SSN @ time of app. My application was in progress for a few days, and I thought it was because of them, but when I called to process the application they wanted to verify the SSN of my additional card members, and i was like oh crap, here comes the decline for adding them, but everything was processed and approved instantly after that. my dad's card was even backdated to 2003. I didnt even ask for his card to be backdated fearing it would trigger the BK info but they did it without even asking. 

Age 28
BOFA Cash Rewards:25k
Citi Premier :16.7k
Citi Costco Visa:19.2k
Amex SPG: 30k
Macy's: 20k
care credit :15k Express: 3.2k Dillards : 5k
Amex Platinum :NPSL
CSP: 15k
Chase Marriot: 25K
Chase Freedom 15k
Capital One Venture 30k

Fico Scores as of 10/2018: EX: 772, EQ: 782 TU: 778
Message 12 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@dds2be wrote:

@i added both of them with their SSN @ time of app. My application was in progress for a few days, and I thought it was because of them, but when I called to process the application they wanted to verify the SSN of my additional card members, and i was like oh crap, here comes the decline for adding them, but everything was processed and approved instantly after that. my dad's card was even backdated to 2003. I didnt even ask for his card to be backdated fearing it would trigger the BK info but they did it without even asking. 

Very interesting indeed.  Based on this information it seems that it's a YEMV situation then. Most anecdotal evidence leaned toward the fact that if a AU/ACM had AMEX IIB usually would not get added to the current cardholder's account due to previous experience with AMEX.

Message 13 of 17
WilliamKF

@FinStar wrote:

@dds2be wrote:

@i added both of them with their SSN @ time of app. My application was in progress for a few days, and I thought it was because of them, but when I called to process the application they wanted to verify the SSN of my additional card members, and i was like oh crap, here comes the decline for adding them, but everything was processed and approved instantly after that. my dad's card was even backdated to 2003. I didnt even ask for his card to be backdated fearing it would trigger the BK info but they did it without even asking. 

Very interesting indeed.  Based on this information it seems that it's a YEMV situation then. Most anecdotal evidence leaned toward the fact that if a AU/ACM had AMEX IIB usually would not get added to the current cardholder's account due to previous experience with AMEX.

I believe it is a question of time, dds2be did not indicate the length of time between IIB and being added as AU.  I know from my own experience that after around ten years I could be added an an AU and not earlier.

Message 14 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@WilliamKF wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@dds2be wrote:

I believe it is a question of time, dds2be did not indicate the length of time between IIB and being added as AU.  I know from my own experience that after around ten years I could be added an an AU and not earlier.

Oh, I guess that's a good point.  The timeframe could be a factor...maybe?  So, for your specific case William, was it exactly after ~10 years?

Message 15 of 17
dds2be
Valued Member

parent's amex was charged off in 09, thats why i thought for sure it would not be approved so i tested the waters with my SPG amex, cuz I didnt want to PRG unless I could add my parents to it, and both were a success. PRG was app'd for 12/13. 

Age 28
BOFA Cash Rewards:25k
Citi Premier :16.7k
Citi Costco Visa:19.2k
Amex SPG: 30k
Macy's: 20k
care credit :15k Express: 3.2k Dillards : 5k
Amex Platinum :NPSL
CSP: 15k
Chase Marriot: 25K
Chase Freedom 15k
Capital One Venture 30k

Fico Scores as of 10/2018: EX: 772, EQ: 782 TU: 778
Message 16 of 17
WilliamKF

@FinStar wrote:

@WilliamKF wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@dds2be wrote:

Oh, I guess that's a good point.  The timeframe could be a factor...maybe?  So, for your specific case William, was it exactly after ~10 years?

I don't recall exactly, it was around ten years ago and was approximately ten years since BK at that time.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.