Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX AU question

tag
NeverTubetheGoose
Regular Contributor

AMEX AU question

I'm looking to get an AMEX card but my bk7 was discharged back in Sept 2019. I know I still have some time to go. Does becoming an AU on an AMEX have any benefit to getting a card?

BK7 filed 5/19/19, discharged 9/20/19 (lesson learned, some people aren't meant to be business owners and should stick to their day job, some people is me)

Total Available: $93,000
Goal: the Delta Platinum Reserve AmEx, Marriott Brilliance AmEx, Marriott Bonvoy Business AmEx
7 REPLIES 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX AU question

AU status has no bearing on an individual's own chances of getting an Amex card (outside of any positive or negative scoring impact - do keep in mind the open date will be listed as the date you were added).  It'll be a wait until the BK has aged enough for Amex and considered by your own credit profile.

Message 2 of 8
NeverTubetheGoose
Regular Contributor

That's what I figured. Thanks.

BK7 filed 5/19/19, discharged 9/20/19 (lesson learned, some people aren't meant to be business owners and should stick to their day job, some people is me)

Total Available: $93,000
Goal: the Delta Platinum Reserve AmEx, Marriott Brilliance AmEx, Marriott Bonvoy Business AmEx
Message 3 of 8
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@NeverTubetheGoose wrote:

I'm looking to get an AMEX card but my bk7 was discharged back in Sept 2019. I know I still have some time to go. Does becoming an AU on an AMEX have any benefit to getting a card?

As stated it won't help a bit. With AmEx current 61 month policy on BK you'd be looking at around October, 2024 at the earlist probably to get approval for your own card. But in the meanwhile there's lots of other good cards to work toward.

Message 4 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Will Amex refuse to let a Primary member add an AU if the AU has a very negative history with Amex?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 8
Creditin
New Contributor

I became an AMEX AU with the same idea. I don't have the answer you want.

But I can tell you about my experience.

I wanted an AMEX with a high CL, something I'll never be able to get by myself.

DW came thru. It's a Blue Cash Preferred. This one reports like a normal credit card.

Now, she's a member since 2002. I'm since 2022. 

The did SP my CR twice, and assigned me a different acc #.

I have my own page with the expenses I produce. Not the total acc expenditure.

So they know me on a first name basis. Meaning I have to spend too.

Will this help me with them?. I don't know. I should have checked before becoming an AU.

Now I qualify for most of their cards, but I know the limits will be garbage.

And I'm getting too old to wait 5 10 yrs for a decent limit.

Cheers.

Message 6 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Creditin wrote:

The did SP my CR twice, and assigned me a different acc #.

I have my own page with the expenses I produce. Not the total acc expenditure.

Yes, this is the standard way Amex handles additional members, different card # and you see just the charges you made.  

Message 7 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Will Amex refuse to let a Primary member add an AU if the AU has a very negative history with Amex?

Typically the card would be issued but it is almost always the case that a card is canceled when the AU's SSN or ITIN is entered as required within 30 days.  Sometimes the system catches it when they are added, occasionally people manage to slip through.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.