Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Account Age Question

tag
TJHOFF
Established Member

AMEX Account Age Question

I just got approved for $10K AMEX Cash Magnet card. I set up account right away and discovered they have me as a member since 1988. I have not had a card with them since hitting them pretty good in a 1997 Chapter 7 BK. (Gold card)

Will this show on my credit report as an 33 year old account?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX Account Age Question

Hi and welcome

Nope, that's just for cosmetic purposes. Amex stopped backdating accounts quite a while ago. It will show the exact day, month, and year in which it was open. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah..unfortunately it doesn't.

my card says member since 00 

Message 3 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

yeah..unfortunately it doesn't.

my card says member since 00 

When Amex customers date stamp themselves grandpa.gif

Message 4 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I have three that says 87 (and are actually backdated) but now I have to worry, in 2088 (when I will be ~ 130) will I have to ask Amex to put a 19 in front?   Y2K all over again!

Message 5 of 6
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

I whacked amex to the tune of 25k in a 1989 Chap 7.  Then in around 1995 they offered me a card with a 1k limit.  I went to use it, and it was declined, the explanation being that they wanted to see how i handled myself before they let me use all the CL.  When i had the conversation with cust svc i needed the 900 to pay for a rental, so i perservered and they let the charge go through, but i was so pissed that i stuck them on that bill too.  in those years i was hardly a model of financial responsibility!

So time has gone by, and i have an amex edp.  I still get some junk from them saying "member since 1970."  And about 6 months ago, what should show up was a very pretty medium-size tiffany box from amex.  inside were two tiffany champagne glasses, and a nice letter from the ceo or somesuch saying how wonderful i've been a member for 50 years!  If they only knew!  sometimes credit life is strange.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.