Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Additional Cardholders

tag
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

AMEX Additional Cardholders

Two questions regarding Amex additional cardholders that I hope someone has the answers to:

1. If I add my SO who used to have Amex cards with a member since date of 1999 as an additional cardholder to my new Zync would their member since date be backdated to 1999? Long story short, my SO was forced to close the Amex cards when buying a house 6 years ago since the loan officer or underwriter was concerned about how much available credit there was.

2. If I add my SO would MY member since date backdate to 1999??

An affirmative answer to either one of these would be fantastic.

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Additional Cardholders

The answer to #2 is definitely no and I would think the answer to #1 is a no too.  Amex has curbed backdating with additional cardmembers recently.  I'm not sure exactly to what extent though and it might depend no which rep answers the phone when you call to ask.

Message 2 of 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

#1 - I don't think so. As an additional cardholder you just inherit the primary's account history. On the other hand, if they were to open an account today, they're amex would be backdated to 1999 (provided they were either a) in the system still, or b) (if not still in system) could supply proof of their membership from 1999. 

#2 - I would say definitely not to this. 

Message 3 of 8
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

I agree with the two responses above. From what I've read, they don't backdate additional cardholders to closed accounts they used to hold. Any additional cardholders get backdated to whatever your account open date is.

Message 4 of 8
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Your SO will be backdated to her original member since date.  I just made my sister an additional cardmember on my Zync; she had an amex of her own for a few years, and her new AU account was backdated to her original member since date.

Message 5 of 8
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Lion, did you get back dated to her member since date?
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 6 of 8
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Well, my member since date is actually older than hers, so no. But I can tell you pretty confidently that you won't get backdated to your SO's member since date. That's the thing about your member since date: once it's established, it doesn't change.
Message 7 of 8
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Thank you for all of the responses. I'll just remain content to be in with Amex now. Smiley Happy In ten years a member since date in 2012 will look sweet!

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.