cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Airfare Bonus Points-Can I use Google Flights?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Airfare Bonus Points-Can I use Google Flights?

I have an AMEX Gold and I get 3x MR points by booking airfare through the AMEX travel portal or with the airlines directly.  Using Google Flights, when booking, it takes you directly to the flight on the airline's web site.  This is the way I've been booking air for a while.  My questions...does AMEX count this as booking directly through the airline's web site, or because of some sort of coding (in order to get Google paid for the referral possibly) will AMEX not give me the 3x points as they don't consider it "directly through the airline's web site"?  Help!  I need to book ASAP!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
grower1
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Airfare Bonus Points-Can I use Google Flights?

You should call Amex and ask since it seems like Google is the middle man in the scenario. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doubling checking with Amex is never a bad idea - but as long as the link takes you to the airlines website you should be fine. I do not think Google gets a travel agency commission. 

And as long as the charge is made directly to and by the Airline I would think you are fine. 

Google only searches - you can open a new window and go directly to that Airlines homepage and be able to select what you see via Google Travel. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I chatted online with a rep from Amex and they just kept saying that only airfare booked directly throught the airline site would get bonus points.  I kept saying that I was getting taken to airline's site and payment went directly to airline.  Rep kept on saying same thing.  Bottom line is he didn't understand what I was asking.

Message 4 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I just use Google to figure out what flight I want, then search the airline's website to be sure the details are up-to-date (price, enough seats for a group). I don't click the "book with Google Flights" or whatever button.

If you're in a rush, that would seem to be the thing to do, rather than wait for an answer about how it codes.

*That is, I book directly with the airline.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I'm just lazy.  Was hoping I could get confirmation that I could do it all through Google and would get the 3x.  Maybe from people thta have done this and gotten the points.

Message 6 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess I'm just lazy.  Was hoping I could get confirmation that I could do it all through Google and would get the 3x.  Maybe from people thta have done this and gotten the points.

My suggestion, if you want to be sure you effectively earn the 3x MRs, book your flight directly with the airline or through the AmEx travel portal. Simple.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.