Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX App with no INQ

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX App with no INQ

So I've read on here that if you're a current AMEX customer and you're declined when applying for another card they will not hard pull your credit. Is this correct? My fiance and I have Zync but with her credit score (806EQ myfico) I'm pretty sure she'll be accepted for Gold PR but she's scared of the inq if she's denied.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: AMEX App with no INQ

New applications that are not on the same day as another application will result in a hard.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really? I've read on another thread that they do not do a hard inq on existing customers unless accepted (gotta find that thread)

Message 3 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I know a couple threads that have stated that from one or two people but I think the end results didn't back those statements up.

The only time other then 2 applications in same day that a credit pull does not get done on new accounts is if you are black listed and apply, it checks for past accounts and if clear then it pulls credit for decision.

Message 4 of 11
stefanc
Regular Contributor

I have read that thread as well. It certainly might be YMMV, but I currently have 3 Amex - a few months ago I applied for a blue - was denied - no hard pull. I thought it was strange at the time but I sure wasn't going to call and complain! Again YMMV, may have to test it again...
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm interesting.. Wish I had a def answer but I guess we'll have to see.

Message 6 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

oh if declined for new card but already a card holder no pull.... that is probably true... I miss understood... but I think if it goes on to process and approval then it pulls?

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah thats what I've been told.. If it works that way we're perfectly fine with that

Message 8 of 11
dharalex
Established Contributor

My understanding from that thread is when you are an existing amex customer, you only get a hard inq if you are actually approved for another card.

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 11
jason86423
Frequent Contributor

Not necessarily..

My understanding of the whole process as an existing cardholder is as follows

1- App for the card-  Amex's system checks the "internal score criteria"- if you don't pass that, the process stops

2- Pass the internal score- a  hard credit report is then pulled either from One, two or all 3 CRA's depending on what is first seen in your experian report (or from what I understand the platinium card app will 75% of the time pull all 3)

3- either approved or denied based on your current report.

As with everything else YMMV

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.