Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Authorized User Pending

tag
DangerNoodle
New Contributor

AMEX Authorized User Pending

I just added three authorized users to my AMEX Platinum card, all of them being family members.

The first two were added and they went through just fine. The third, however, said that it is pending approval and I'd be notified within 14 days.

Anybody know anything about why this would happen? Did I just screw myself and end up in a financial review?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX Authorized User Pending

Doesn't sound like a FR; you would certainly know about that as your accounts would be frozen.  Has this third person ever defaulted on an Amex account?  They seem to have zero tolerance on that rule, even if it has been long enough that the person could get their own primary account. Of course, you could always call customer service and ask.

Message 2 of 29
DangerNoodle
New Contributor

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

Doesn't sound like a FR; you would certainly know about that as your accounts would be frozen.  Has this third person ever defaulted on an Amex account?  They seem to have zero tolerance on that rule, even if it has been long enough that the person could get their own primary account. Of course, you could always call customer service and ask.

Nope, my family, despite their long credit history, has never actually had any accounts with AMEX. And they haven't ever missed any payments.

Could it be that it's a 15 year old?

Message 3 of 29
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yes, I was just going to edit my post to ask if you tried to add someone under 15 since that is the minimum age that Amex requires.  Most likely there's an extra step of verification for AUs 15-17.  If anyone has any experience with this, please chime in.

Message 4 of 29
DangerNoodle
New Contributor

I also called their support line and asked to see what's up. The CSR actually said that he didn't see anything pending and asked if I would like him to try and add them as an AU. I said sure. He got all the info and put it in, and said it was added successfuly. But unlike the other two, the name still doesn't show on my list of AUs.
Now I have another problem, am I going to get two cards for the same person if they get approved?

Message 5 of 29
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Manual review because of the age of the authorized cardholder is best guess. Back in the day when you called in they had to verify each cardholder's indentity with the info provided - SSN usually - before adding them. For AMEX only children 15 or older could be added to charge cards only (I'm assuming that's not the case anymore but can't be sure). So that would be my guess as well. Call Plat CS they'll get that taken care if you want it done asap.

Message 6 of 29
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@DangerNoodlewrote:

I also called their support line and asked to see what's up. The CSR actually said that he didn't see anything pending and asked if I would like him to try and add them as an AU. I said sure. He got all the info and put it in, and said it was added successfuly. But unlike the other two, the name still doesn't show on my list of AUs.
Now I have another problem, am I going to get two cards for the same person if they get approved?

I'm actually surprised about that. Give it til tomorrow and see if the card(s) for that person show up. If not call them back. I'm curious if the CS rep said if the card would be delivered by Thursday/Friday?

Message 7 of 29
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yes, 15 is still the minimum age for Amex authorized users. Otherwise, both of my children would be maxing out their annual purchase of 30,000 Starpoints during the 35% off sales and transfering to me via their SPG Gold Elite accounts. Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 29
DangerNoodle
New Contributor

So let's just say it were an FR, would I have known immediately?

First card with AMEX and just got it, I don't want to go through the nightmare I have read about online.

Should I call them up again and see what's up?

Oh and just correcting a typo, it's for a 16 year old in my immediate family, not 15.

Message 9 of 29
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@DangerNoodlewrote:

So let's just say it were an FR, would I have known immediately?

First card with AMEX and just got it, I don't want to go through the nightmare I have read about online.

Should I call them up again and see what's up?

It's not FR at all. Don't have to worry about that. You would have to have something happen like MS and/or questionable payments/purchases to get a FR on your account and considering how new your card is I highly doubt that has occurred in this case. I still think it's an age issue with the AU but I could be wrong.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.