Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Authorized User Pending

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX Authorized User Pending

@DangerNoodlewrote:

So let's just say it were an FR, would I have known immediately?

First card with AMEX and just got it, I don't want to go through the nightmare I have read about online.

Should I call them up again and see what's up?

Oh and just correcting a typo, it's for a 16 year old in my immediate family, not 15.

Yes, during a financial review your charging privileges are immediately suspended.  I would certainly call Platinum customer service and talk to them.  Can we assume the 16 year-old has no credit file yet?  Did you enter a SSN for him or her?

Message 11 of 29
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

Yes, 15 is still the minimum age for Amex authorized users. Otherwise, both of my children would be maxing out their annual purchase of 30,000 Starpoints during the 35% off sales and transfering to me via their SPG Gold Elite accounts. Smiley LOL

Wow, how did I forget that. Thanks for reminding me.

Message 12 of 29
DangerNoodle
New Contributor

Thanks! Made me feel a lot more comfortable haha.

Message 13 of 29
DangerNoodle
New Contributor

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

@DangerNoodlewrote:

First card with AMEX and just got it, I don't want to go through the nightmare I have read about online.

Oh and just correcting a typo, it's for a 16 year old in my immediate family, not 15.

Yes, during a financial review your charging privileges are immediately suspended.  I would certainly call Platinum customer service and talk to them.  Can we assume the 16 year-old has no credit file yet?  Did you enter a SSN for him or her?

The 16 year old does actually have a credit file, as an authorized user on a BofA card for the past several years.

I did not enter an SSN though, as I didn't have it on hand and I was too lazy to go get it. I guess that was it - a combination of a minor and no SSN.

Message 14 of 29
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@DangerNoodlewrote:

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

@DangerNoodlewrote:

The 16 year old does actually have a credit file, as an authorized user on a BofA card for the past several years.

I did not enter an SSN though, as I didn't have it on hand and I was too lazy to go get it. I guess that was it - a combination of a minor and no SSN.

I'm actually surprised the rep didn't ask for it. They'll eventually get it one way or another.

Message 15 of 29
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

SSN isn’t required to add, but is required within 60 days. Pro tip: it’s tax season; check your 2016 or 2017 1040 for dependent SSNs.

Message 16 of 29
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

SSN isn’t required to add, but is required within 60 days. Pro tip: it’s tax season; check your 2016 or 2017 1040 for dependent SSNs.

Well, supposedly they require it at activation from what I've read but I have no clue if that can be "overrided" as well til you reach that 60 day threshold where you're at that point required to put it in.

Message 17 of 29
DangerNoodle
New Contributor

OK so I called again and they got me in with the new cards department.

The agent simply told me that it was due to the fact that the AU was under 18 and I had not put in a SSN.

He said it likely would have been approved, but he told me that if I gave him the SSN now it would be expidited.

So I gave him the SSN and he said it would be added to the account within 24-48 hours and I'd get the card in the mail.

I guess this clears things up, I was just freaking out that I triggered an FR Smiley Happy

Thank you everyone!

Message 18 of 29
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Just FYI... the minimum age for Amex seems to have changed to 13. 

They send me this message every month or so; this one is from yesterday:

AmexKids1.jpg

Amexkids2.png

Message 19 of 29
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

That’s awesome, @UncleB and a very recent change. Thank you!
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.