Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCE Statement Credit Confusion

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX BCE Statement Credit Confusion

Hey all,

Last month, I was approved for an American Express Blue Cash Every Day card.  It's my first non-secured card (go me!).  Anyway, it advertises $150 statement credit after your first $1k spend in three months.  I've been using it as much as possible and just PIF on my first statement.  A couple of days ago, I hit my $1k on the card.  Tonight I check the app, and I have a $200 statement credit.  I thought WOW, that was fast, and also $200 when it was only supposed to be $150??  I clicked on the credit  and it says it's a credit from Starbucks??  Like I do drink a lot of Starbucks but they certainly don't owe me $200 for anything!  It literally has my local Starbucks address and phone number listed on the transaction.

I'm so confused, what the heck is going on here?  Did Starbucks accidentally gift me two hundred bucks?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX BCE Statement Credit Confusion

Starbucks was just the transaction that triggered the bonus! Smiley Wink Don't worry!
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kenny wrote:
Starbucks was just the transaction that triggered the bonus! Smiley Wink Don't worry!

That's what I thought, but chronologically, it shouldn't have! I still had like $50 to go the last time I got Starbucks.  But hey, I'm not gonna complain!  $200 instead of the advertised $150 though?  Do they just like me or something?  Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 13
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

That's what I thought, but chronologically, it shouldn't have! I still had like $50 to go the last time I got Starbucks.  But hey, I'm not gonna complain!  $200 instead of the advertised $150 though?  Do they just like me or something?  Smiley Very Happy

I'm sure there was a reason, and if not then you're just lucky! Smiley Wink I wouldn't worry one bit.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kenny wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

I'm sure there was a reason, and if not then you're just lucky! Smiley Wink I wouldn't worry one bit.

Sounds awesome to me!  Thanks.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 13
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

That card frequently offers $200. You must have qualified for it without knowing it.

My BCE statement credit matched up to a $2 parking meter charge. When I called AMEX, they said that was standard operating procedure that the credit could come from whatever merchant.

Message 6 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Kenny wrote:

I never been to Starbucks, but if that were the case and ties to them were causing $200 credits, I'd be customer of the month next month. Smiley LOL

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol I saw the same thing with my Cash Magnet. I was like "Why is there a $150 credit from Adafruit Industries?" I was just as confused as you were, Celia.

I never thought about that being the transaction that triggered it. Interesting, thanks for clearing that up Kenny!

Message 8 of 13
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I had this same experience LOL. It said Walmart for me. Starbucks didn’t give you anything. It was just that particular transaction that put you over the threshold. Congrats!
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was a little confused.  Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.