Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCE...am I missing something?

tag
zeusta20
Established Contributor

AMEX BCE...am I missing something?

I always see people posting about the BCE from amex. Is there something I'm missing? TO ME, it doesn't seem that great of a card. Its revolving, WHICH IS GOOD, but as far as the cash back, its only in a form of a statement credit (from what I read on amex's site). If I could get a check sent to me, that would be nice, but it doesn't seem like its worth it if its just going to be a credit to my credti card.

Am I missing the value in this card? Why does it seem to be so popular?

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
calihlove75
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX BCE...am I missing something?

To me a statement credit is like cash in my pocket since I have to pay the credit card bill off anyway!

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 2 of 23
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@zeusta20 wrote:

I always see people posting about the BCE from amex. Is there something I'm missing? TO ME, it doesn't seem that great of a card. Its revolving, WHICH IS GOOD, but as far as the cash back, its only in a form of a statement credit (from what I read on amex's site). If I could get a check sent to me, that would be nice, but it doesn't seem like its worth it if its just going to be a credit to my credti card.

I personally don't think the card is that great, and I get more value from my PRG... but that's just me. No Rotating Catagories, and cash equivalent rewards are perks, but for cash back I prefer discover, Navy Federal and even my Amazon card, since I can opt to have the cash deposited into my checking account, or I can redeem for gift cards or other merchandise.   To me, a reward doesnt' really feel like a reward unless I use in on "rewarding" things like travel or gifts for me Smiley Happy 

A statement credit is so blah in my opinion, although I have opted for statement credits in the past on my other cards.  Its nice to have a choice.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 23
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@calihlove75 wrote:

To me a statement credit is like cash in my pocket since I have to pay the credit card bill off anyway!

hmmm...thats true. What about if you PIF every month? How does that work? Would you just have a neg balance on the credit card?

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 4 of 23
Commandolam
New Contributor

What's wrong with a statement credit?  You should be paying off your card in full using whatever check you would've received anyway.  I guess the lack of a variety of uses for the points is a legitimate criticism, but not the lack of a check.

And people like it (and the BCP) because of the good rewards.  The 6% back on groceries on the BCP is unmatched as far as I know and there's a trick you can do by buying gift cards at supermarkets to be used elsewhere which qualify for the 6% or 3%.  

Age: 20 | AAoA: 1.1 Years | TU Fico: 725 | EX Fico: 719 | EQ Fico: 693
Last App: 12/09/2013
Message 5 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@calihlove75 wrote:

I agree with this, thats why I like statement credits.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 23
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@zeusta20 wrote:

I personally don't think the card is that great, and I get more value from my PRG... but that's just me. No Rotating Catagories, and cash equivalent rewards are perks, but for cash back I prefer discover, Navy Federal and even my Amazon card, since I can opt to have the cash deposited into my checking account, or I can redeem for gift cards or other merchandise.   To me, a reward doesnt' really feel like a reward unless I use in on "rewarding" things like travel or gifts for me Smiley Happy 

A statement credit is so blah in my opinion, although I have opted for statement credits in the past on my other cards.  Its nice to have a choice.

Exactly...and I was actually thinking about upgrading my Amex Green to the PRG. BUT, I already have the CSP that i'm paying 95.00 a year for. I was thinking about upgrading to the Gold, but to me, the rewards aren't really all that different. The only difference is early event access...So for me to pay $270 on credit cards for the CSP AND PRG annually just to HAVE, seems a little hefty to me. Maybe not...idk. Maybe i'm just being cheap? lol.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 7 of 23
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@Commandolam wrote:

What's wrong with a statement credit?  You should be paying off your card in full using whatever check you would've received anyway.  I guess the lack of a variety of uses for the points is a legitimate criticism, but not the lack of a check.

And people like it (and the BCP) because of the good rewards.  The 6% back on groceries on the BCP is unmatched as far as I know and there's a trick you can do by buying gift cards at supermarkets to be used elsewhere which qualify for the 6% or 3%.  

Oooo...didn't think about that either....

Thats why I love this site! lol. I get different ideas and tips and tricks on how to use these...lol. Thanks for the info...good to know!

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 8 of 23
zeusta20
Established Contributor

BUT...to my other point. What if the card is PIF. Where does the credit go to? Is it just going to the credit card making it a neg balance?

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 9 of 23
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

the credit would reduce your cc bill..

lol duh.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.