Did you mean: 

AMEX BCE upgrade to BCP

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX BCE upgrade to BCP

@Leapling wrote:

Hey, hey!

AMEX offered me an upgrade to BCP with a nice sub offer. If I take them up on the offer can I go back to the BCE in 2 years? The 6% on groceries is appealing, they are waiving the AF in year one and the sub would basically cancel out the AF in year two. I really just don't know if it would be worth it after two years. 

@Leapling 

I've been bouncing between BCE and BCP for 4 years or so.  The BCP doesn't make sense for us unless Amex waives the fee, because my better half and I don't use much more than $3200 in groceries annually (for the negligible benefit, I'd rather keep the fee).  I've taken advantage of two of the no-fee offers you've described.  At the end of the free BCP year, I drop it back to the BCE.  I don't expect any further such offers at this point, but it's been a good run.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 11 of 13
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Addendum:

It's been a year since the BCE to BCP upgrade.  I tallied the year's groceries. Hadn't factored in the grocery spikes when our (healthy, 6'2", voracious) son comes to visit.

Turns out the BCP does make sense, particularly factoring in the streaming cashback.

So I guess I'm not downgrading this year.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 12 of 13
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

The upgrade offer is good, as long as it waives the AF. Due to having several 5% groceries cards in the market without AF, there is almost a weak motivation to go for the 6% card while paying AF (unless having lots of groceries).

Anyway, some perks of BCE look better e.g. 3% in retail stores and some monthly credits like Home Chef.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.