Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Backdating tips?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Backdating tips?

Did an online chat with a CSR yesterday and mentioned I wanted to see if I could get my MSD to reflect the first time I had an AMEX card.  Initially the CSR started digging and could not find anything and asked if I had the card number, to which I obvisouly told the CSR I did not.  Then, the CSR asked me "why" I wanted to do this?  I replied that I had a friend who did it and just wanted to check and see.  This seemed ok with the CSR and I gave them the old address at the time I had the card, to no avail.

CSR stressed to me they exhausted every possible place to look and I thanked the CSR and ended the chat.  Is this worth pushing for a second try sometime down the road?  I don't want to spook them but would LOVE to increase that AAoA.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Backdating tips?

@Anonymous wrote:

Did an online chat with a CSR yesterday and mentioned I wanted to see if I could get my MSD to reflect the first time I had an AMEX card.  Initially the CSR started digging and could not find anything and asked if I had the card number, to which I obvisouly told the CSR I did not.  Then, the CSR asked me "why" I wanted to do this?  I replied that I had a friend who did it and just wanted to check and see.  This seemed ok with the CSR and I gave them the old address at the time I had the card, to no avail.

CSR stressed to me they exhausted every possible place to look and I thanked the CSR and ended the chat.  Is this worth pushing for a second try sometime down the road?  I don't want to spook them but would LOVE to increase that AAoA.

I'd try again.  I know people that that it took a long time before AMEX was able to track down their initial card.  I was lucky, they were able to track down my card from 1989 fairly easily.  I wouldn't worry about spooking thrm and I would have explained why you wanted them to do it.  It's not a big secret that having their cards stating the same MSD helps AAoA

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im surprised the csr asked you why, usually its a fairly simple request. I would start another chat and state you were a previous American Express cardholder from _____ to ______ and would like to have your menber since date corrected on your account. During my request I wasnt asked why or for the card details the rep simply took the infornation and said he would put in the request
Message 3 of 6
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

There should be no tips required as your MSD is when it actually is. Tell them that date, and they will ameliorate the slip up, if there is one.
Message 4 of 6
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

I feel fornanate my just showed up on CR and new cards had the backdated MSD. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 5 of 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

99% of them probably know the benefit of MSD..  I was honest as could be when I origianally spoke to them on the phone and saying you are silly if you don't take a MSD you are eligable for and the person completly agreed..  On a side note, I did get my new AMEX with the corrected MSD date on my card via UPS next day air todaySmiley Happy.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.