Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Blacklist Experiences

tag
jeffrey_MBP
Contributor

AMEX Blacklist Experiences

I'm not losing sleep over it, but what are everyone's experiences/timeframes for remaining the amen blacklist post bankruptcy?   I'm at 12 years thus far.  It's too bad that AMEX is losing out of all of my business, but many other banks are definitely benefiting from it.  I just want AMEX lounge access at two airports that don't offer it from my other cards.

Thanks again.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Blacklist Experiences

@jeffrey_MBP wrote:

I'm not losing sleep over it, but what are everyone's experiences/timeframes for remaining the amen blacklist post bankruptcy?   I'm at 12 years thus far.  It's too bad that AMEX is losing out of all of my business, but many other banks are definitely benefiting from it.  I just want AMEX lounge access at two airports that don't offer it from my other cards.

Thanks again.

Amex lost a lot of money to have you blacklisted...

But honestly, re: your question, I know there is a thread lurking around that had a lot of replies to it on this topic. Though I believe that topic also talked about the Optima card (?), a sort-of "rebuilding" card for those who had burned AMEX in the past, but I do not believe that program is still running.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 2 of 10
Open123
Super Contributor

Really hard to say, since there aren't any reliable or consistent data points.  Some seem to be off after 5, 7, or 10 years.  And, there are some who are still on the list after 15, 20 and 30 years.

Have no idea how they decide, but I'd imagine the amount of the loss in question or inclusion in a BK would factor into it.

Message 3 of 10
keithB
Established Contributor

@jeffrey_MBP wrote:

Thanks again.

You can always pay for loung access. Either for a daily pass or a yearly membership.

Message 4 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@jeffrey_MBP wrote:

Thanks again.

wow 12 years and when you apply it says "declined because of past account management" and doesn't pull credit?

Message 5 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

31 years post BK and counting...

Message 6 of 10
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@keithB wrote:

@jeffrey_MBP wrote:

Thanks again.

You can always pay for loung access. Either for a daily pass or a yearly membership.

+1

@gdale6 wrote:

31 years post BK and counting...

I've read about people being approved with an Amex charge-off still reporting.  Maybe BK is a higher offense to them.

Message 7 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

My applications with American Express stopped being declined for past account holder history after about eight years post BK
Message 8 of 10
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

I got back in with Amex 9 years post Chapter 7 BK

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 9 of 10
davidsawsparks
Contributor

I just got approved for one of their cards again after 15 years. Mine was a CO though and not a bk... but they didn't have any recollection of me since they think I'm a new member. Similar to CreditAddict's situation... I may have simply been one of the lucky ones to slip through the cracks. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.