Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Blacklist for Existing Cardholders

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Blacklist for Existing Cardholders

I'm curious if there is anybody out there who has an existing AMEX card but was put on a blacklist from ever having a second AMEX card, and if they were able to get removed from the blacklist.  Apparently, I'm on an AMEX blacklist, even though I've had an AMEX Gold Card for the past 6 years.  In 2003 at the age of 22, I made some irresponsible financial decisions and filed bankruptcy. AMEX lost about $13,000.  A decade later in 2013 after the BK fell off my credit report, I was invited to apply for an AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card.  I was approved and received it right away. For the past 6 years, I've used my AMEX Gold Card virtually every day, I've never been late, I have zero debt (other than a mortgage), and I have a 835 credit score. The new Marriott Bonvoy AMEX card seemed like a good deal, so I thought I'd sign up. I was just denied. The rejection states: "We value your membership and appreciate your interest in another American Express Card. We're writing to let you know we cannot approve your application at this time because American Express cancelled your previous account(s)."  When I called and asked why, they said it was because of the old account.  I asked how on Earth I was approved for an AMEX Gold Card and have been using it for the last 6 years, and I didn't receive a sensical response, but was told told to have my lawyer contact AMEX. I said I am a laywer (and I am). He put me on hold for 30 seconds, and came back and said I'd "never" qualify for another AMEX card and there's nothing he can do, and that he was sorry.  I asked about my existing AMEX Gold Card, and it's fine to keep it.  Has anybody had an existing experience, and does anybody know how to get off the blacklist?  The Gold Card is OK, but the reward program for the new Marriott Bonvoy card would be more useful to me.

32 REPLIES 32
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Blacklist for Existing Cardholders

Are you able to apply for the Chase version of the Marriott cards? That would get you some of the benefits, not quite the same status, but something.

How about the Platinum?

It may be that they are looking at revolvers as more of a risk than the Chargers, which need to be paid each month.

Do you have any other cards which are revolving credit?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.  I have a couple revolving accounts with other credit card companies with little or no balances which I occassinally use to keep active, but not with AMEX. I guess that could be it.  The AMEX platinum benefits aren't that useful to me, as I don't fly a lot, so I've never even bothered to apply for that charge card. I was thinking about the Chase version of the Marriott Bonvoy card, but the silver elite status and a free night worth 35,000 points with the Chase card doesn't quite compare to gold elite status with a free night worth 50,000 points with the AMEX card.  I guess I don't have much choice in the matter for apparently the rest of my life.... 

Message 3 of 33
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I've never heard of that happening. You could try contacting the executive office. Maybe offer to pay what you had owed?

Message 4 of 33
Lucifer
Frequent Contributor

This is a new twist on the AMEx black list I have never seen before.

I cost them 2 or 3 grand back in the early 90's.  Young and dumb.   

Eventually got back in with them with a charge card but never went for any of their credit cards as I have other options.     

I wonder........but I would have to apply and that isn't happening anytime soon as I am gardening and I loathe HP's.....

Stay Liquid My Friends...

Starting Score: F8 3xx
Current Score: F8 800+
Goal Score: F8 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 33
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Lucifer wrote:

This is a new twist on the AMEx black list I have never seen before.

I cost them 2 or 3 grand back in the early 90's.  Young and dumb.   

Eventually got back in with them with a charge card but never went for any of their credit cards as I have other options.     

I wonder........but I would have to apply and that isn't happening anytime soon as I am gardening and I loathe HP's.....

If you're an existing member, you won't get a HP. Same with a blacklist.

Message 6 of 33
Lucifer
Frequent Contributor

Hmmmmmmm........

But my aversion to HP's currently applies to new CC's as well.  I have 8 and that is plenty.  

For now.... muahahahahahaha

Some year I am in for a 3 or 4 card explosion.    All this pent up app love will blow someday.

Stay Liquid My Friends...

Starting Score: F8 3xx
Current Score: F8 800+
Goal Score: F8 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 33
GeorgiaBulldog
Regular Contributor

A possible work around, if you're patient and really value Marriott Gold/free night cert... Get the Chase personal Marriott, and after a year, upgrade to the Ritz-Carlton. While the Ritz isn't available for new applications, folks have reported being able to upgrade to it. The Ritz has a few other perks over the Amex (the Visa Infinite airline portal discount, primary collision damage waiver, trip delay insurance, etc.).
Favorite cards: AMEX Morgan Stanley Platinum | BofA Alaska | Chase Hyatt | Citi AA Executive | FNBO Amtrak
Message 8 of 33
BlueMystic
New Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I've never heard of that happening. You could try contacting the executive office. Maybe offer to pay what you had owed?

That is the right answer.

@TampaRichard: paying what you defaulted is a tried-and-true method for eventually getting off the blacklist. If you do that, they will forgive. But they will never forget. No other way (beyond luck) to clear the blacklist that I'm aware of.

Here's one thread:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-Blacklist-Data-Points/td-p/5282955

and a post of mine that breaks down my experience:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-Authorized-user-Burned-Amex-in-the-past/m-p/54155...

Hope this helps - good luck.

Message 9 of 33
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm curious if there is anybody out there who has an existing AMEX card but was put on a blacklist from ever having a second AMEX card, and if they were able to get removed from the blacklist.  Apparently, I'm on an AMEX blacklist, even though I've had an AMEX Gold Card for the past 6 years.  In 2003 at the age of 22, I made some irresponsible financial decisions and filed bankruptcy. AMEX lost about $13,000.  A decade later in 2013 after the BK fell off my credit report, I was invited to apply for an AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card.  I was approved and received it right away. For the past 6 years, I've used my AMEX Gold Card virtually every day, I've never been late, I have zero debt (other than a mortgage), and I have a 835 credit score. The new Marriott Bonvoy AMEX card seemed like a good deal, so I thought I'd sign up. I was just denied. The rejection states: "We value your membership and appreciate your interest in another American Express Card. We're writing to let you know we cannot approve your application at this time because American Express cancelled your previous account(s)."  When I called and asked why, they said it was because of the old account.  I asked how on Earth I was approved for an AMEX Gold Card and have been using it for the last 6 years, and I didn't receive a sensical response, but was told told to have my lawyer contact AMEX. I said I am a laywer (and I am). He put me on hold for 30 seconds, and came back and said I'd "never" qualify for another AMEX card and there's nothing he can do, and that he was sorry.  I asked about my existing AMEX Gold Card, and it's fine to keep it.  Has anybody had an existing experience, and does anybody know how to get off the blacklist?  The Gold Card is OK, but the reward program for the new Marriott Bonvoy card would be more useful to me.

He may have meant have your BK lawyer call. Just guessing.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.