cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Blue Cash Preferred 6% Cashback...

tag
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Blue Cash Preferred 6% Cashback...

@Walt_K wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@KingAdrock wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

I'd start with a small gift card purchase just to make sure it didn't go through as a cash transaction and get charged as a cash advance.  I doubt that would happen with a grocery store purchase, but I would probably start out that way to be sure

I've never heard of such a thing, ever. If any CCC did this it would likely be all over the news.

It's rare, but not unheard of. My local grocery store DOES treat gift card purchases as cash advance (so they can get away with interchange fee).

And I realize this isn't a grocery store, but see also http://thepointsguy.com/2011/05/mr-pickles-guest-blog-post-using-big-crumbs-to-get-cash-back-on-cred...

That kind of thing along with buying the rolls of $1 coins and then depositing them seem to me like they are working the system a bit too much (and things that could make AmEx unhappy). As for buying a few gift cards at the grocery store for other stores, I don't see a problem with that, and I think it's totally OK.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do agree with you on that. I think the whole rolling coin thing is definately wrong.  The whole point of the mint to sell coins, is to get them out into circulation and not to be dumped into a coin machine to redeem them. 

I don't want it to seem like I am working the system, I'd just love a way to be able to get the 6% back on many other purchases, including gas, in a non-illegal way.  But yes, I share the same opinion with you on the coin situation. 

Thanks for everyones 2 cents!

Message 12 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

The mint no longer allows that.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 15
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I do agree with you on that. I think the whole rolling coin thing is definately wrong.  The whole point of the mint to sell coins, is to get them out into circulation and not to be dumped into a coin machine to redeem them. 

I don't want it to seem like I am working the system, I'd just love a way to be able to get the 6% back on many other purchases, including gas, in a non-illegal way.  But yes, I share the same opinion with you on the coin situation. 

Thanks for everyones 2 cents!

I'd say as long as you are buying store/gas gift cards, you fine.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

A user on another forum suggested this site to figure out how merchants code the transactions. From what I have seen, it correctly distinguished between fast food and restaurant for a few places I frequent, so there may be hope for it.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.