Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant Retention Offers

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant Retention Offers

I'm down to 5 AMEX cards, Platinum, Gold, Green, Aspire and Bonvoy Brilliant. The Bonvoy Brilliant AF turns up probably August 23, which won't give me time to use the next round of $300 travel credit on dining out... unless I take everyone from MyFICO out for a steak.

Last year I got an offer for 30,000 Marriott points, to keep the card open. Haven't been able to use the latest free night cert, which expires January 2021 now. This card was difficult to justify last year, with my Platinum and DGF has her own Bonvoy Brilliant, which was why I was somewhat happy to get the 30,000 retention. I transferred 100,000 points to her account, which we used the combined set for a stay in Beaver Creek CO for skiing. So that was a good usage.

Anyone have experience during the pandemic with Bonvoy Brilliant retention offers?

It's like every conversation has to be relevant to Pandemic, just like travel before / after 9/11 changed drastically. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant Retention Offers

Around March 10, I called and asked to downgrade Brilliant to the $95 card. I did not ask for a retention offer, nor was I offered one. They just promptly processed the PC and I got all but $3 of the excess AF refunded.

I did get to keep the higher-tier (50k), more flexible annual certificate.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 6
dogmeat
Regular Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

The Bonvoy Brilliant AF turns up probably August 23, which won't give me time to use the next round of $300 travel credit on dining out... . 

Does the resort credit reset on the day the annual fee hits, or on your cardmember anniversary date (and, are they the same thing?)  If cardmember anniversary date, there should be no 'probably' associated with that - Amex should be able to tell you the exact date.  My point being that if there is any chance that "1 week left" could extend to "3 weeks left", that could very well make the credit achieveable.

I don't know anything about Bonvoy Brilliant retention offers but I know FT has forums for that.  Since you already have Bonvoy Gold with Platinum it does weaken the value proposition for the Brilliant a bit.  Moreso if you can't figure out how to use that free night.

Message 3 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@dogmeat wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

The Bonvoy Brilliant AF turns up probably August 23, which won't give me time to use the next round of $300 travel credit on dining out... . 

Does the resort credit reset on the day the annual fee hits, or on your cardmember anniversary date (and, are they the same thing?)  If cardmember anniversary date, there should be no 'probably' associated with that - Amex should be able to tell you the exact date.  My point being that if there is any chance that "1 week left" could extend to "3 weeks left", that could very well make the credit achieveable.

I don't know anything about Bonvoy Brilliant retention offers but I know FT has forums for that.  Since you already have Bonvoy Gold with Platinum it does weaken the value proposition for the Brilliant a bit.  Moreso if you can't figure out how to use that free night.

There's no resort credit on the card (that's the Amex Hilton), but the $300 statement credit for qualifying spending (which is much easier to use since that's any spending including the nightly rate that is billed directly to the room, or even some other purchases like if the Starbucks in the lobby codes as Marriott - and for the time being also works for restaurant purchases) at Marriott properties resets on the cardholder anniversary date prior to the AF being charged on the following statement (unless they happen to be the same date, of course).

The annual free night certificate alone should more than offset the annual fee on this card; the $300 credit is just icing on the cake.  If the 50k certificate can't be used, there really isn't much point in having the card.

Message 4 of 6
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

I apologize for not being able to answer your question. But if it will help, I'll take you up on that steak dinner offer. 😂

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 5 of 6
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Agree with @K-in-Boston 

The credits are really use to use and Marriott has been extending the usage time/status/awards through FEB 2022

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.