Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI 7 Day Letter

tag
seat3a
Contributor

AMEX CLI 7 Day Letter

Hello,

I got my AMEX Gold Delta back in 09/12 and didn't do the 61 day request, so today I decided to go for the plunge. They said I would receive a letter in 7-10 days so I assume it was a denial. Said I didn't fit their model or some since nonsense. Should I try and recon? I wanted to try CLI increases since I have never asked for one but now I'm freaked since reading the boards and getting denied. I received an auto CLI from CSP a few months ago (much to my surprise). I went for the AMEX CLI because of a SP. I wanted to up my CL a bit since I am traveling out of the country in September and want to keep my utilization down. Any suggestions?

Thanks to everyone that participates on the boards as they are a great help!

Barclay Arrival World MC 10K, Citi AAdvantage 16K, Chase Sapphire Preferred 15K, AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles 16K, Venture One 5K, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $300, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $500

Scores: EX 764 EQ 750 TU 809 MyFico 739 Last App 11/13
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI 7 Day Letter

Have you been using the card since you got it?

About how much per month are you charging on it?

*8/10/13
Message 2 of 21
seat3a
Contributor

I didn't use the card hardly at all during the first 3 months, but I went up north on a vacation recently and the balance is about 1K but I paid $800 on it before the last closing date. It's been at about 1K for the past 3 months and I pay way more than the minimum.

(Dodfire: You can see I still don't have my CC images on my signature.....LOL)

Barclay Arrival World MC 10K, Citi AAdvantage 16K, Chase Sapphire Preferred 15K, AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles 16K, Venture One 5K, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $300, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $500

Message 3 of 21
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@seat3a wrote:

I didn't use the card hardly at all during the first 3 months, but I went up north on a vacation recently and the balance is about 1K but I paid $800 on it before the last closing date. It's been at about 1K for the past 3 months and I pay way more than the minimum.

(Dodfire: You can see I still don't have my CC images on my signature.....LOL)

Im not 100% sure but it could be because of the balance. Although it is a revolving card, AMEX still does not like people to carry a balance. Go figure that one out!!

So, that might be it??

I would give them a call and just ask... "What do I need to do in order to fit your profile"

Yes, I see that you STILL do not have your images!! HAHA Smiley Happy

*8/10/13
Message 4 of 21
seat3a
Contributor

Thanks! I'll call them in the morning.

Also, after reading the boards, I guess I'll just wait to see what happens to my 3 PUNY Cap 1 cards, which are a real thorn in my side. Not a good evening. AMEX is causing sleep deprivation!

THX

Message 5 of 21
enharu
Super Contributor

If you do try to recon that decision, they might ask you to send in tax docs. It's not FR, just income verification.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 21
seat3a
Contributor

Hi!

I decided to call recon this morning (foreign call center with not so nice rep).The reason my CLI was turned down was because "you have a high internal risk score". I asked what that meant and they said my EX score was 704. It may be a stupid question, but EX score is 740 on their site when I pulled it yesterday.. They said I had too many inquires (I have 2) and too high balances (utilization is around 14%). He said to try back in 90 days. I explained I had one TL at 11K but nothing seemed to matter. I am really happy that a lot of people on these boards were able to get the 3X increase, but they didn't even counteroffer. I have 88K income, no baddies, etc.

Maybe I'll have to re-think their card. Just frustrated, that's all since I am super picky with my credit.

THX everyone.

Message 7 of 21
isoldmyatlas
Frequent Contributor

Pay that balance down and try again in 3 months. Amex is notoriously wary of increasing CLs for cardholders carrying balances, whereas Discover loves to see that.
TU: 793 (6/13/17) | EQ: 787 (7/17/17) | EX: 788 (6/15/18)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $40,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $14,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Citi Home Depot $8,000 (06/2018)
Message 8 of 21
seat3a
Contributor

Thanks, isoldmyatlas,

These boards are so great because of info like yours. I could have paid it easily, I guess I didn't read the posts well enough. :

Anyone have a suggesstion about which card I should go for considering my upcoming trip to Eurpoe? Or should I hit Chase for a CLI? I love the card but now the whole idea makes me nervous. EVERYDAY I receive at least 1 Discover It pre-approved invitation in the mail but we all know how that goes and it looks like they don't give a very high CL in the beginning.. Don't want to waste a HP.

Thanks everyone! (Itching to get out of the garden .... hehehe)

Message 9 of 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

@seat3a wrote:

Thanks, isoldmyatlas,

These boards are so great because of info like yours. I could have paid it easily, I guess I didn't read the posts well enough. :

Anyone have a suggesstion about which card I should go for considering my upcoming trip to Eurpoe? Or should I hit Chase for a CLI? I love the card but now the whole idea makes me nervous. EVERYDAY I receive at least 1 Discover It pre-approved invitation in the mail but we all know how that goes and it looks like they don't give a very high CL in the beginning.. Don't want to waste a HP.

Thanks everyone! (Itching to get out of the garden .... hehehe)

ERT's have been notified ....Smiley LOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.