Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI Conversation with CSR as of 1/8/2014

tag
apacislvallejo
New Contributor

AMEX CLI Conversation with CSR as of 1/8/2014

Greetings, all!  thought i would share a piece of info from my phone call with Amex CS today.

you: On new accounts, when is an appropriate time to request a credit line increase?

Ki**: Sure.. you can request for a credit limit increase after 60 days from account opening date.

you: I have a blue which has been open since November .... that means it's due soon for a credit line increase ... if I request it.

Ki**: I see that it was issued to you on Nov 9, 2013

you: yes

Ki**: You can request a credit limit increase after Jan 9, 2014

Ki**: Simply Go to  americanexpress.com/accountsummary and click the More Account Options link on the bottom left of the screen. Then select Increase Line of Credit under Account Management.

you: And then for the TE, I can request one after it's 60th day?

Ki**: Right (smile)

Ki**: As the Card Issuance date is Dec 17, 2013

Ki**: you may request after Feb 17, 2014

you: Wow. Thanks then ... appreciate your time and assistance

Jes my experience today, Jan. 8 .... Hope this helps someone.

Thanks, Apac

FICO8 Updated: 3/11/2016
Eq: 803, Ex: 774, TU: 797
FICO9 Updated: 2/15/2016
Eq: 814; Ex: 793; Tu: 809 ----- TOTAL CL: $204,500
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI Conversation with CSR as of 1/8/2014

Hmmm, that's interesting......I had always thought that you could only have one CLI every 6 months.  Based on your chat, apparently not? 

Why this is interesting to me is because I've already been trying to figure out which of my AmEx cards to go with for the initial 3xCLI.  My BCE is about 2 weeks older than my BCP.  However, got a much better initial CL for the BCP.  So, I figured by just waiting 2 more weeks, I could request for the 3xCLI (or somewhere close to it) for the BCP first.  Then (if that goes as planned) wait another 180 days to request a CLI for the BCE.  Obviously, getting a 2-3xCLI for the BCP first would be a more significant impact to my overall CLs/utilization earlier in the year - which I hope could better faciliate some of our other financial goals for the remainder of 2014 (and perhaps sooner, too).

So now, if I'm understanding your OP correctly, it sounds like the "only 1 CLI in a 180-day period per customer (and not per account)" rule is really not Amex's hard & fast policy??  If so, that's great news.....especially for impatient folks like myself! 

Thanks for the info, OP!  And good luck tomorrow with your CLI!

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 2 of 13
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

I'm not sre if that's true. MAny people on here confirmed you cant do more than 1 CLI on AMEX CCs with in a 6 month period. I know you can apply for more than one card at a time though

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 3 of 13
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@FastForward wrote:

Hmmm, that's interesting......I had always thought that you could only have one CLI every 6 months.  Based on your chat, apparently not? 

Why this is interesting to me is because I've already been trying to figure out which of my AmEx cards to go with for the initial 3xCLI.  My BCE is about 2 weeks older than my BCP.  However, got a much better initial CL for the BCP.  So, I figured by just waiting 2 more weeks, I could request for the 3xCLI (or somewhere close to it) for the BCP first.  Then (if that goes as planned) wait another 180 days to request a CLI for the BCE.  Obviously, getting a 2-3xCLI for the BCP first would be a more significant impact to my overall CLs/utilization earlier in the year - which I hope could better faciliate some of our other financial goals for the remainder of 2014 (and perhaps sooner, too).

So now, if I'm understanding your OP correctly, it sounds like the "only 1 CLI in a 180-day period per customer (and not per account)" rule is really not Amex's hard & fast policy??  If so, that's great news.....especially for impatient folks like myself! 

Thanks for the info, OP!  And good luck tomorrow with your CLI!

Strangely, I was able to apply for a new 14k Amex Blue Sky, approved.  While on the phone verifying information, she said I could go back online to get the other cards updated to higher limits.

I only asked for the normal 3x on the first pathetic $600 card...  approved for the new CLi of $1800.

I asked for the normal 3x on the other pathetic $500 card online about a minute later...  letter in 7-10 days, likely going to be denied.

In contradiction with what I was told by the Credit Analyst the other day.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 4 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

One per account every 180 days; the chat wasn't clear if the CSR was aware you wanted to do back to back CLI's or you were asking for eligibility dates. 

Message 5 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

One per account every 180 days; the chat wasn't clear if the CSR was aware you wanted to do back to back CLI's or you were asking for eligibility dates. 

+1

Message 6 of 13
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

60days for your first CLI and then it's 6months

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 7 of 13
apacislvallejo
New Contributor

Well, it was clear to me that it was about separate cards.  Because I had called about both of my cards on something else. before I brought up the topic of CLIs; when I asked the question.  But after reading all 54 pages of post on this subject here on this board, I figgered that my conversation today was interpretative.  I'll go ahead and do the 61 days with the first card ... and then wait and see.  

I'll ask before pulling the plug on the second card at day 61, in Feb, as she suggested, just to see.  I'm sure by then, another CSR will have a different take on it, and tell me if it's possible at that time in February, that is, if I choose to do it.  I thought i'd never say this, but since doing this whole CLI thing, and being granted for it too ... I'm a little at a pause and hesitant to have too much available credit.  

LOL ...

@FinStar wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

+1

FICO8 Updated: 3/11/2016
Eq: 803, Ex: 774, TU: 797
FICO9 Updated: 2/15/2016
Eq: 814; Ex: 793; Tu: 809 ----- TOTAL CL: $204,500
Message 8 of 13
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

Confirmed today with multiple representatives.

I feel like I went for a cheap date to go from $600 to $1800 on one card, only to now be denied on all other cards across their family for six months.

The Blue (points) card will likely be sock-drawered for the year, just pulled out occasionally so I don't lose he 44k MR points on it, and concentrate on the Blue Cash and Blue Sky cards... On July 6th, I'm thinking asking for a CLI on my Simply Cash Business or the new personal Blue Sky is a better option. I'm not sure if business cards are subject to the same 34k threshold though....

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 9 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

Confirmed today with multiple representatives.

I feel like I went for a cheap date to go from $600 to $1800 on one card, only to now be denied on all other cards across their family for six months.

The Blue (points) card will likely be sock-drawered for the year, just pulled out occasionally so I don't lose he 44k MR points on it, and concentrate on the Blue Cash and Blue Sky cards... On July 6th, I'm thinking asking for a CLI on my Simply Cash Business or the new personal Blue Sky is a better option. I'm not sure if business cards are subject to the same 34k threshold though....

Sorry about the date. Unfortunately, CSRs make mistakes. The 3xcli GuIDE put together by MustangSaluki has a lot of date and although not the last say; the 180 day policy is pretty consistent. 

I wouldnt SD the card because they do look at your internal score when aporovibg or decline CLI's. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.