Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI after 3 mos. - DENIED!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX CLI after 3 mos. - DENIED!!!

I just hit the AMEX luv button minutes ago after 3 months with the card, paying in full every month with a highest balance about $700 on $1500 CL. Asked for $6k CL (maybe too high). Got the 7-10 days message...uhmmmmm. I'm not happy at this moment, but a least it was only a soft pull. Now, I'm scared to ever hit the luv button again.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX CLI after 3 mos. - DENIED!!!

liz20 wrote:
I just hit the AMEX luv button minutes ago after 3 months with the card, paying in full every month with a highest balance about $700 on $1500 CL. Asked for $6k CL (maybe too high). Got the 7-10 days message...uhmmmmm. I'm not happy at this moment, but a least it was only a soft pull. Now, I'm scared to ever hit the luv button again.

Yep, you asked for too much.  They will grant max CLI bringing you to 3x your current limit, so the most you should have asked for was $4500.  Try again in a few months.

Message Edited by cheddar on 06-25-2008 07:46 AM
Message 2 of 19
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

I thought you should only ask for up to 3x your present CL. Wouldn't this be 4500 ???
If you get a denial you could call and try to ask for less maybe, say it was a nervous finger jerk because you were worried asking for a CLI might initiate a FR.

I hope it works out or try again in a few months.

Jax

Message Edited by jaxstraw on 06-25-2008 07:52 AM
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, will do next time. My mistake. I actually wanted my CL to be increased to that amount, that's why I asked for that (needed to use $3k on that card and wanted to have at least 6k avail). Will wait some more time I guess. Do I need to wait 6 mos now or just another 3 which will make it 6 months with the card? Thanks.
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

You think it will be a good idea to call and maybe tell them if I can get $4k? I'm not sure about this. I think it will be best to leave it alone. I have other cards with the available money, it's just that this card has 0% APR on everything (BT and purchases) for a year, that was my main reason even though I was planning on paying in like 3-4 months. 
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

liz20 wrote:
You think it will be a good idea to call and maybe tell them if I can get $4k? I'm not sure about this. I think it will be best to leave it alone. I have other cards with the available money, it's just that this card has 0% APR on everything (BT and purchases) for a year, that was my main reason even though I was planning on paying in like 3-4 months. 

I would leave it alone.  You've already been declined, so you need to give it a few more months before you try again.

It would probably be best to pay off the balance you're carrying before you ask again, too.
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

liz20 wrote:
Yeah, will do next time. My mistake. I actually wanted my CL to be increased to that amount, that's why I asked for that (needed to use $3k on that card and wanted to have at least 6k avail). Will wait some more time I guess. Do I need to wait 6 mos now or just another 3 which will make it 6 months with the card? Thanks.

The policy is no CLI prior to 60 days on a new account, and no more often than every 6 months after that.

Since you were declined and didn't receive a CLI, technically you don't need to wait, but it's never a good idea to ask for too much too soon from Amex.  Give it three months at least, I would say.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot. Will do that. I don't carry a balance, I always PIF. The balance I mentioned there was my highest balance on the card, not the balance I owe at the moment. I usually pay most of the balance before getting the bill, then pay the remainer when I get the bill.  My bal. at this time is about $184, but nevermind, will just wait a few months and maybe I feel like trying again, or not. Thanks for all the replies.
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can hit the luv button again... I did the 1st time I requested a CLI .. I asked for 10,000 got the 7-10 message then hit it again  asking for 7,500 the same day and was approved instantly.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know, I don't feel too confident as to try it again anytime soon.

When did you do that? long time ago or recently? has anyone else done this with similar results?
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.