Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI further review?

tag
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI further review?

Very sorry to hear about your denial.  I have to wonder if it was due to the balances that you let be reported on your credit reports.  I know you can explain it, but Amex has this internal scoring system and their computer probably made the decision.  Did the email go into detail as to the reasons for the denial?

Was this your first attempt at a CLI?  You didn't ask for a CLI at 61-days?

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 11 of 19
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

Very sorry to hear about your denial.  I have to wonder if it was due to the balances that you let be reported on your credit reports.  I know you can explain it, but Amex has this internal scoring system and their computer probably made the decision.  Did the email go into detail as to the reasons for the denial?

Was this your first attempt at a CLI?  You didn't ask for a CLI at 61-days?

I didn't receive an email, I ended up calling them today and I was told the same old stuff.. too many inq, too many new accounts blah blah. I find that they always have to pick at something on why they could not approve me. I attempted a CLI at around 80 days I believe because thats when I found out about the 61 CLI rule, of course I was denied. AMEX just doesn't love me I guess. I think I'll use their cards less now. I have both a zync and bcp, zync over a year and bcp 6 months.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 12 of 19
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Meltdownblitz wrote:

Well after further review my request was denied.... Whaatt?

I pay all my cards in full and on time and spend a decent amount for my income since I have no rent.. and I get denied? Forget it with amex, I'll go to using my amex almost none. Anyone have any idea why they denied me?

Even though you can ask for 3x the amount, 2K to 6K is still a big jump (at least in my opinion).

Did AMEX HP you? Yes, too many INQ and too many accounts are legit denial reason.

Message 13 of 19
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

I guess, but they didn't even counter offer and besides I'm sure I've spent more then 6k in the 6 months I've had it. I haven't received denial reasons in writing yet, should be on its way. However, they said too many inq, too many new accounts, score too low.. don't remember the rest but all nit picking reasons IMO.

No they did not HP me. and I have about 5 INQ on Ex in the last year... not too many IMO.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 14 of 19
gettnthere
Established Contributor

sorry they denied yaSmiley Sad maybe you can get a big one at 1yr. how many inq's and new accounts did you have placed on your CR AFTER you got the BCE BCP?

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 15 of 19
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

On Ex I got about 1 or 2 INQ in the last 6 months. Although I got about 3 new accounts in the last 6 months. That could be it as well as my balances I let report, even they all were PIF. Thats the only reasons I could think of for my denial. I also had a low to no balance, I had just paid the bill then asked, but with a few small pending charges.

Message 16 of 19
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Even if you end up SD'ing the card, you should defnitely try for another CLI in 90 days (I think you have to wait 90 days after a denial - hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that).  Third time may just be the charm.

It took me three tries to get approved for my BCE.  I was already an established cardmember (23 years and counting) with a Gold and an Optima (not the Oasis program).  Shortly after first denial this past March, Amex sent me a letter to let me know I could use the "Pay Over Time" feature on my Gold card and revolve a balance of up to $35,000.  How nice.  And yet they wouldn't allow me to have the BCE.  Smiley Mad  Applied for BCE again in April....denied.  Then came May....finally approved.  And during all that time, I was actually revolving a $2,000 balance on my Optima, which was about 50% of my limit at the time.  The same day they approved the BCE, I did my first ever CLI request on my Optima - but was too chicken to go for 3x which would have put me at just over $12K.  I asked for $5500 and was approved (new limit of $9600).  Oh, and I just finally paid off the Optima last month.  Anyway, sorry to ramble, but my point is that Amex is just downright quirky and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what they do.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 17 of 19
cutemarty1
Regular Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

Even if you end up SD'ing the card, you should defnitely try for another CLI in 90 days (I think you have to wait 90 days after a denial - hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that).  Third time may just be the charm.

It took me three tries to get approved for my BCE.  I was already an established cardmember (23 years and counting) with a Gold and an Optima (not the Oasis program).  Shortly after first denial this past March, Amex sent me a letter to let me know I could use the "Pay Over Time" feature on my Gold card and revolve a balance of up to $35,000.  How nice.  And yet they wouldn't allow me to have the BCE.  Smiley Mad  Applied for BCE again in April....denied.  Then came May....finally approved.  And during all that time, I was actually revolving a $2,000 balance on my Optima, which was about 50% of my limit at the time.  The same day they approved the BCE, I did my first ever CLI request on my Optima - but was too chicken to go for 3x which would have put me at just over $12K.  I asked for $5500 and was approved (new limit of $9600).  Oh, and I just finally paid off the Optima last month.  Anyway, sorry to ramble, but my point is that Amex is just downright quirky and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what they do.

Guys, got denied too for a CLI  Smiley Sad

Limit was 2k. Asked for 6 k.  Twice denied Already however was approved for CLI at BoA and Bestbuy.

Reason was My Fico score was 701. And too many inquiries (app'd for a mortgage) plus deliquencies --- had a an collections Time warner bill. argh.   When can I apply again. I can't funnel purchases to this cars cause my utilization goes up so quickly!

My TL : Discover 45k / Venture 39k / BCE AMEX 33k / BoA123 Sig 24k / WF propel 17k/ Home Depot 16.5 K / Barclays Arrival WEMC 15k / Citi World WEMC 16.5k / CU Visa 11k/ Nordstrom Visa 20K / penfed rewards visa 20k / Citi AA 16.5k / spark business 15k/ Chase ink business 15k/ delta Amex platinum 14k/ boa rewards 7k /Macy Store 5.3K / Best buy 2.4K / BBRZ Gold 1.4K / PNC 20k / AppleCard 40k/ citi premier 12.7k / chase Amazon 7k
Message 18 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I love you were told they don't do instant (That sounds like a GE or Macy's Rep)  It's like 99% ALWAYS INSTANT - You don't get instant means you denied!

Sorry you got denied, more yelling at REP in my statement above!

Wait a month and try again... no biggie, always SP... plus Amex sometimes runs a little behind on reporting, who knows if that might have something to do with it but wouldn't think so.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.