Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI- what would you do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX CLI- what would you do?

@improvingmycredit wrote:
Hey psychoinhell! I try to use my card when ever I need gas or groceries/department store purchases. Just makes for a better return on the cash back. Just an FYI- thought it was funny that the auto correct feature on my iPad corrected your name to "psychotic hell". LOL.

I like it Smiley Happy  But my SN is an old military nickname...  back when I was my son's age Smiley Frustrated

Message 21 of 25
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@lanc wrote:

I recently got the amex everyday (3% groceries) but  can't justify not shopping at walmart.  It's closer to my house and the prices are lower than any other grocery store in the area hands down.  Other than the usual arguments the people are weird long lines etc the quality is the same and my grocery bill is lower.  Has anyone seen this argument?  I love getting cashback but I don't see anyway to justify it.  Also, I'm afraid to use AMEX at walmart in general for AA.  I use the cap1 1.5% Smiley Happy

What do you mean? Why would there be AA from AMEX for going to Walmart?

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 22 of 25
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hey lanc! Yea- it's a very valid argument to be made that getting at least the difference back vs the savings at Wally world to offset the cash back awards. There are several things that matter to me here that makes it more worthwhile. Buy all your gift cards at the grocery store. You get the grocery store % award. Buy your specialty items at the grocery store. Special fruits- special buys - coupons and b1g1 free deals. I just really hate the long lines at Wally World too. One thing is for sure- when I go to Wally World- I ALWAYS spend more then I plan by a lot. Smiley Happy. This in itself nets me more savings and cash back then if I'd gone to WW. One a side note- don't be afraid to use your Amex at Wally World. I use mine there for everything just like a debit card. Never had AA. Walmart is an approved vendor of Amex and vice versa! They make money off each other and enjoy it when you use their cards there. They even sell Amex gift cards! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 23 of 25
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

The ACM on my BCE uses the card at Walmart all the time. So far no negative action from Amex.

One of the few places I would avoid using an Amex is at a furniture rental center. I have heard that they consider card holders with rent-to-own furniture as being high risk.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 24 of 25
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

@improvingmycredit wrote:
LOL! I've seen some FICOs on here too that I wish they'd share. LOL! BTW- your FICOs are pretty good on their own.

My FICO's are improving. I only have one baddie (30d from DEC08).  The numbers are down because I ran up too much debt. Lots of contributing factors to why, but the bottom line is it is there, and I am working on making it go away.  I am on the right track, and need to stay persistant and keep chugging away on it.

Of course nobody told "LIFE" that.  This week we need to get the transmission rebuilt on the car the teenager is driving. $$$$$  Not much reduction going to go on this month.  Smiley Frustrated

Doesn't "life" get in the way of any fun?  Seems like it's always something.  But then again, we wouldn't have anything to complain about.  Smiley Very Happy

Wait a minute... is complaining fun?  HaHa!  It must be because I find myself doing it at least once a day about something.

All kidding aside... I really do know what you mean.  Always a birthday, anniversay, graduation, field trips, mother's day, father's day, transmissions, tires, etc... Thank god for credit.  LOL  You're right though, you have a great mind set and goal to get where you want to be. 

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.